[SOLVED] Following a BSOD , cannot connect to internet and forces a Windows reinstall

DustinMayfield

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2013
Hi All! I've been dealing with a somewhat frustrating issue for the past several months and have tried almost everything I can think of to resolve it, yet still no luck. To begin, I have been getting fairly frequent BSOD which I am also trying to debug, but I'll save the debugging of that for a different thread. The primary issue I'm having is after i get a BSOD and reboot my computer, I am no longer able to connect to the internet. The status of my wifi does show it is connected, but I am not able to load any webpages whatsoever. I have both ethernet and wifi and neither will work. I will list below the various things I've tried, with no success, to get my connection back online. The ONLY thing that works is if I completely "Reset This PC" , essentially reinstall windows fresh and in result go through the process of reinstalling all my programs from scratch. After all my troubleshooting, the only conclusion i can come to is that somehow the BSOD is causing corrupted windows files, as the only thing that solves this is reinstalling windows. All other devices in my house are able to connect to the internet and webpages completely fine. Here is a list of the things i've tried following a BSOD, again with no success:

1. Reinstall wifi adapater, including drivers
  2. Perform various cmd prompt functions to refresh ip (/release , /renew, flushdns, netsh int ip reset, etc)
  3. Reset Router/Modem
  4. sfc /scannow
  5. Windows Troubleshooter; results in something like "windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary dns server)"
  6. ping/tracert to 8.8.8.8 (seems to work)
  7. nslookup (i do not get a timed out , or any other error)
  8. No virus or malware
  9. Replaced pcie wifi adapter hardware

The list above is what i could think of off the top of my head, i'm sure i've tried more but nothing works. Has anyone else had this issue or something similar?

Solution
Hi All! I've been dealing with a somewhat frustrating issue for the past several months and have tried almost everything I can think of to resolve it, yet still no luck. To begin, I have been getting fairly frequent BSOD which I am also trying to debug, but I'll save the debugging of that for a different thread. The primary issue I'm having is after i get a BSOD and reboot my computer, I am no longer able to connect to the internet. The status of my wifi does show it is connected, but I am not able to load any webpages whatsoever. I have both ethernet and wifi and neither will work. I will list below the various things I've tried, with no success, to get my connection back online. The ONLY thing that works is if I completely "Reset...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Look in Reliability History (more user friendly) and Event Viewer (less user friendly) for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that you can match to the BSODs.

Ensure that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless, is enabled. Not both at the same time.

Hi All! I've been dealing with a somewhat frustrating issue for the past several months and have tried almost everything I can think of to resolve it, yet still no luck. To begin, I have been getting fairly frequent BSOD which I am also trying to debug, but I'll save the debugging of that for a different thread. The primary issue I'm having is after i get a BSOD and reboot my computer, I am no longer able to connect to the internet. The status of my wifi does show it is connected, but I am not able to load any webpages whatsoever. I have both ethernet and wifi and neither will work. I will list below the various things I've tried, with no success, to get my connection back online. The ONLY thing that works is if I completely "Reset This PC" , essentially reinstall windows fresh and in result go through the process of reinstalling all my programs from scratch. After all my troubleshooting, the only conclusion i can come to is that somehow the BSOD is causing corrupted windows files, as the only thing that solves this is reinstalling windows. All other devices in my house are able to connect to the internet and webpages completely fine. Here is a list of the things i've tried following a BSOD, again with no success:

1. Reinstall wifi adapater, including drivers
  2. Perform various cmd prompt functions to refresh ip (/release , /renew, flushdns, netsh int ip reset, etc)
  3. Reset Router/Modem
  4. sfc /scannow
  5. Windows Troubleshooter; results in something like "windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary dns server)"
  6. ping/tracert to 8.8.8.8 (seems to work)
  7. nslookup (i do not get a timed out , or any other error)
  8. No virus or malware
  9. Replaced pcie wifi adapter hardware
The list above is what i could think of off the top of my head, i'm sure i've tried more but nothing works. Has anyone else had this issue or something similar?

there are just too many bugcheck codes, each with error codes to guess which bugcheck you have.
here is a partial list of the more common ones Bug Check Code Reference - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs

you should copy your minidump file (if generated) to a cloud service like microsoft one drive and share the file for public access and post a link to the file here.

you can also download tools like whocrashed.exe or bluescreenview.exe and they will read your minidumps and make list suspected causes.

minidumps are generally located in c:\windows\minidump directory
kernel dumps are generally located in c:\windows\memory.dmp file

As a first guess you might want to update the network driver for the motherboard from the motherboard vendors website.
if you have a usb wireless driver you might have to update the BIOS to get USB fixes, then update the motherboard drivers to get the USB and CPU chipset driver updates. Then if you are using a usb 3.x port you might have to update any 3rd party usb 3 motherboard driver.
you would have to do this in addition to updating the actual usb wireless driver. (kind of gets involved)
with usb there are other issues also. (power management telling your usb hubs to sleep, bios settings telling your usb ports to shutdown)

Solution