Fonts gone crazy! Help needed

Marco

Yesterday I installed a Windows XP Professional update and afterwards
rebooted the computer. Now the default font seems to have gone crazy.
As I am typing this message I can see what I'm typing but the buttons
below are full of gobbledygook (circles, signs, question marks, etc).
Also if I open Google and type something in the search box all I see
are these weird signs.
I can't find any help on this on the Microsoft website. There's an
article called "How to Restore the Windows Default Fonts" but it's not
for Windows XP.
I have tried restoring the system to an earlier restore point a few
days ago but it didn't work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Marco