[SOLVED] Fool proof way to update BIOS

CPU Ryzen 3600x
X570 i aorus pro wifi
RTX 2060 Gaming Z
seasonic 650w S12 III
2x8 (16gb) corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz
500gb m.2 adata
500gb ssd

Just a question for the future if I decided to upgrade from my 3600x to a 5800x.Im no stranger to updating the BIOS but I have never gone from one generation to another and am looking for the most fool proof, best method I can. Would I just download the bios onto a usb,do the update with the 3600x installed then swap them over? Or download the BIOS onto a usb, take the 3600x out then use the motherboards flashback to update,then insert the 5800x? Or download the bios onto a usb, swap the cpu's over then download the bios from the usb? Or none of the above?

Solution
I Personally would download and unzip the BIOS to a USB 2.0 stick (formatted as FAT32).
Then go into the BIOS and set the Optimized Defaults then save and Exit the BIOS.
Then go back into the BIOS and use the Q-Flash utility in the BIOS to flash the BIOS from the USB stick.
At this point Clearing CMOS is not a bad idea to make 100% sure there are no left over settings.

Then remove the 3600x and install the 5800x.
Then go back into the BIOS and make any changes necessary (enable XMP, set fan curves, etc.).
Then save and exit the BIOS.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I Personally would download and unzip the BIOS to a USB 2.0 stick (formatted as FAT32).
Then go into the BIOS and set the Optimized Defaults then save and Exit the BIOS.
Then go back into the BIOS and use the Q-Flash utility in the BIOS to flash the BIOS from the USB stick.
At this point Clearing CMOS is not a bad idea to make 100% sure there are no left over settings.

Then remove the 3600x and install the 5800x.
Then go back into the BIOS and make any changes necessary (enable XMP, set fan curves, etc.).
Then save and exit the BIOS.

Last edited:
Solution
CPU Ryzen 3600x
X570 i aorus pro wifi
RTX 2060 Gaming Z
seasonic 650w S12 III
2x8 (16gb) corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz
500gb m.2 adata
500gb ssd

Just a question for the future if I decided to upgrade from my 3600x to a 5800x.Im no stranger to updating the BIOS but I have never gone from one generation to another and am looking for the most fool proof, best method I can. Would I just download the bios onto a usb,do the update with the 3600x installed then swap them over? Or download the BIOS onto a usb, take the 3600x out then use the motherboards flashback to update,then insert the 5800x? Or download the bios onto a usb, swap the cpu's over then download the bios from the usb? Or none of the above?

An X570 motherboard will work with both 3000 series and 5000 series processors even after updating the BIOS so you don't have to worry about order of update at least. Start with your 3600 and take the update process all the way through, doing the CMOS reset both after updating BIOS with the 3000 and after swapping in the 5000 processor.

In addition to the process @DMAN999 sketched out it's also important make sure the update process itself goes smoothly. The most important thing is ensure you have stable power to the system during the process: simple things like making sure the power plug is firmly inserted and don't start it if there are thunderstorms in the area that could interrupt power.

Some people are extraordinarily paranoid about power interruptions and won't attempt a BIOS update unless on an UPS; if your power is notoriously unreliable you might consider that too.

And if you've a cat that gets jealous when you pay too much attention on the screen and keyboard, you might set it out of the room :)