For 3ds max and editing AMD or Intel?

G

I am going to get a new CPU and i know for gaming Intel is more expesive but gives out slightly more peformance and uses a LOT less power

However I have been doing some CG work with Vray and 3ds max and I will be using AE and 3d tracking software as well as gaming

So with side should I go with? £100-200

I would like to stay under £150 because this would mean I can get more RAM and other components

Current parts if relevant:
Nvidea 550Ti
400w PSU
4Gb RAM

Thanks.

Solution
Games use less cores than rendering. Usually 2-3 cores. Open up any game from the era before 2010, and it'll say "Runs great on Core 2 duo" (dual core intel cpus).

In this case, i5s have 4 cores, that no game will use out all at once, and their single core performance is awesome. Which is why 2 or 3 games run 2fps better on i5s than i7s. So, the 8350's 3 cores being used while playing BF3 will be weaker than the 3 cores ob the i5.
And while games still aren't so complex to use all 8 threads of an i7, it's a waste of money to get one for gaming.

But , AMD's 8 cores pull ahead of intel's i5s, when doing anything that's not gaming. So, rendering and 3D modeling will work better on a true 8 core amd than a 4 core Intel.

About heat &...

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Well, I'd reccomend a i7, but not with that budget. I guess an 8-Core amd CPU would be ideal here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX8350-Edition-Processor-4-2GHz/dp/B009O7YUF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391099934&sr=8-1&keywords=fx+8350

8 cores and 4ghz. You can get a good board as well and if you're not OC'in you can use the stock cooler.

Here's a board that's cheap, good and works with this CPU:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M5A97-R2-0-Motherboard-PCI-Express-Flashback/dp/B008RPYB0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391100006&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+m5a97

Unless you're looking for a "power saving" PC. You could get an i5, less power but it's a 4 core. And while the 8350 has low single-core performance, when all 8 cores are being used (rendering), it's a great CPU for the value.

G

Thanks for the reply and explanation

Although I have 2 more questions(that's why i haven't chosen your as the solution in-case you change your recommendation)

Will the added power demand will that translate into extra heat/noise and also out of interest if AMD have 8 cores and most modern games and programs use multicore tech so why would the I7 be the best for 3d work and why are I5s commonly used for gaming despite their price?

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Games use less cores than rendering. Usually 2-3 cores. Open up any game from the era before 2010, and it'll say "Runs great on Core 2 duo" (dual core intel cpus).

In this case, i5s have 4 cores, that no game will use out all at once, and their single core performance is awesome. Which is why 2 or 3 games run 2fps better on i5s than i7s. So, the 8350's 3 cores being used while playing BF3 will be weaker than the 3 cores ob the i5.
And while games still aren't so complex to use all 8 threads of an i7, it's a waste of money to get one for gaming.

But , AMD's 8 cores pull ahead of intel's i5s, when doing anything that's not gaming. So, rendering and 3D modeling will work better on a true 8 core amd than a 4 core Intel.

About heat & noise: i've built a few pcs with the fx8320 (same as the 8350, just overclocked) and the stock cooler, while Idling is preety quiet. I guess when stressing it, it'll start being noisier, but you can get an aftermarket cooler. Like a Hyper 212 Evo. And yeah, the energy usage is high, but not alarming, in my oppinion.

So , in short gaming wise:
i7=i5>FX8350 (until games start using 4+ cores)
Rendering:
i7>FX8350>i5

Good luck, hope I helped! :)

Solution
Modeling actually only uses 1 core. Viewports are largely gpu related. The i5 is actually better in ae which isn't optimized well for parallelism. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2013/-35-Adobe-After-Effects-CS6,3170.html You never stated what 3d tracking software but it is most likely going to be better on the i5 as it's typically single threaded. So the only thing the fx is better in is cpu based rendering. If you use a gpu renderer then the i5 would be the obvious choice. Assuming you aren't going to pony up for an i7. The heat/noise isn't really a concern. With a decent cooler on both, they are the same noise and power is hardly even $1 more each month for the fx.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Yeah, while actually modeling, it's not that intensive. But When I render a Cinema 4D 3D animation, my CPU jumps to 73% usage on all cores. It's a 3930K @4.2Ghz, and even while running at 4.5/4.6, it didn't make a difference. 3D rendering requires more cores and speed.

G

Yea my biggest problems where navigating the view port at sub 1fps at times (yea i kid you not) so from what i have found out the I5 is better by a bit in gaming and is better in view ports however will not help with my render times very much (did have a quad core 2.7)

wish I could choose two answers

Thanks you two!