For a strict gaming rig is the new i9 9900k overkill?

qxb

Oct 13, 2018
I’d like to build a gaming pc with one of Intel’s new 9th gen processors, though I’m not sure which one to get. The new i9 seems to be overkill for just gaming. The i5 doesn’t seem to be worth it at all, but the i7 seems interesting. It has 8 cores and 8 threads with no hyper threading. Possibly the most bang for buck out of the trio.

Would just like some opinions as this would be my first gaming pc. I’ve been a long life console player and would like to go pc.

Oct 10, 2018
Yea, probably is.

I own a I7 8700(Non K) + GTX 1080 and I run everything on maximum with great FPS.

Considering the I7 9700K is superior + the ability to overclock (You mentioned you're a console player, as such make sure you pick a high end motherboard that allows you overclock, some suggestions: https://innoreviews.com/best-motherboard-for-i7-9900k/ these will work for the 9900k or the 9700k) then that'll be all you really need.

Hell, even VR if you get into it will be perfectly smooth, I would definitely say the I9 9900K is a bit overkill from a gaming aspect but then again, it will provide longevity to your build.

If you're in a good position ATM in life then getting the 9900K while you can may be a wise decision since you wont know how hard life may hit you in the future.

For gaming it makes little difference whether you go with the 8700, 8700K, 8600, 8600K, 9600, 9600K, 9700K, or 9900K. They will all be overkill for just strictly gaming. Sure you might get high CPU usage in some games on the i5 but it will still play very good. It's more than enough CPU power. The 6 core 12 thread 8700K is about equal in performance to an 8 core CPU with no hyperthreading.

9900K might cost a bit more, but, you will not feel short of cores, threads, or clockspeed in the next few years with it, that's for certain.

It will be interesting to see the 8700K vs. 9900K gaming and gaming while streaming comparisons when both are at 4.7GHz to 5.0 GHz on all cores....I suspect the 8700K will more than 'hold it's own' for 3-5 years anyway. (Granted, the 9900K will have a clock speed advantage at default clocks, but, i doubt the 9900K's extra pair of cores will help much in today's games, truthfully...; we will all know within a week)