[SOLVED] For Gaming Only - i7 9700k or Ryzen 7 3700x - which should I buy

Abhisek21

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am very much confused about a very common issue. What should I opt for if my sole purpose of buying is gaming and also that I wont have to worry about coming 3 years. I currently use an intel i5 6600K with GTX 1080ti.
Should I buy a new cpu as games like cyberpunk, watch dogs legion, ghost recon breakpoint, halo etc will get released by next year. So should I buy a new processor for gaming and what should I buy between 3700x/3800x and i7 9700K.
And If I buy will it be futureproof like I wont have to worry about next 2-3 years from now.

Please suggest.......Thanks in Advance

Solution
For now, Ryzen 3xxx is the best way to go.

9700k is more a rival only for 3600x. 3700x is more against 9900k.
Those from Intel is only slightly faster (single core/thread wise) but a lot more expensive.
3800x is not interesting for me, the jump is not big from 3700x but the price difference is quite noticeable.

If you need the upgrade now, go for AMD. As for Intel...to be honest, I do not think Intel will/can offer something new as good as AMD this year. Next year..perhaps..or the year after.
My prediction is that Intel will offer higher OCed stuffs with same architecture like the previous ones....and call it...another revision from the already old soon dead solution
All depends on what your budget is and what resolution you are running at. If you run at say 4K resolution, you're more GPU bound than CPU bound. However if you are running at 1080p, then you are more CPU bound in games. (Depending on game)

As a general rule of thumb they are close, damn close. The 9700K run a bit faster. But you'll pay for that privileged of a few FPS.

Reactions: Abhisek21
If you plan to mainly only game (not much streaming, no much content creation, etc..)and if you value the term "best bang for bucks", I would even go for 3600 or 3600x. You do not really in deep need those extra cores/threads of 3700 or 3700x or even higher.
Invest more money than on getting better GPU, mechanical keyboard, good gaming mouse, audio devices and/or monitor.
Note: I just have this special feeling that games would start to be able to utilize more and more threads in the next 2-3 years. This statement is still a gamble but I have a lot stronger feeling for now.

As for Intel, I do not have a good enough reason to recommend Intel cpus for now.
The next gen maybe?

Reactions: Abhisek21

Abhisek21

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I have the budget to go for and already having corsair glaive and corsair k95 platinum , my ram is poor though which i am planning to change but i am not sure about if I should buy ryzen 3800x for gaming only for next 3 years with a good x570 mobo which will support ryzen 5th gen probably if it releases by next 4-5 years, or should I buy i7 9700K or wait for intel to throw something by next year to topple ryzen 3rd gen

Those from Intel is only slightly faster (single core/thread wise) but a lot more expensive.
3800x is not interesting for me, the jump is not big from 3700x but the price difference is quite noticeable.

If you need the upgrade now, go for AMD. As for Intel...to be honest, I do not think Intel will/can offer something new as good as AMD this year. Next year..perhaps..or the year after.
My prediction is that Intel will offer higher OCed stuffs with same architecture like the previous ones....and call it...another revision from the already old soon dead solution

Solution

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017

That's not the case really.There's some instances where the 9700k even beat the 9900k in some games in 1080p.In 1440p and 4 k it doesn't really matter.There's also a rumor that intel will release a 10c but i am not holding my breath its said it would run on a 1159 socket.Idk if this is accurate and i don't follow rumors.If this is the case and it's still on 14nm then they already lost the fight as it will have no price to performance value.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
If you pay attention on all test or benchmark or fps result, there should always still be anomalies ...or cases or instances or exceptions. Take the results and make a kind of general result. Some test results till have to be seen with a slight pinch of salt because of these anomalies.

and...yes..regardless of 10nm or 14 nm or 7 nm...
I also do not think Intel is able to offer better than AMD this year or even next year.
AMD can still theoretically revise the 3xxx next year too or drop the price, if Intel could really come with decent offer until end of 2019. Intel processors are pretty much a bad choice for consumers, at least for now.

I went with a Ryzen 5 3600 and I have an RTX 2080 ti. I personally also considered the i7 9700k but I didn't have a lot of money left after buying my RTX 2080 ti. It was either Ryzen 5 3600 or save up another month and go with the i7 9700K. Well I am pleased to say I have the Ryzen 5 3600 in hand. Just no motherboard until this afternoon when fedex runs. I'll let you know how it goes. From what I can tell from the reviews it looks like the 3600 and 9700k are about equal stock for stock. The 3600 is slightly better in multithreaded loads and the 9700k is slightly better in single core loads. We're talking only like a 1% difference though with the single core loads. The 3700x blows the 9700K out of the water. In terms of gaming perfomance though the 9700K wins but that's only at 1080p and with a powerful gpu you're going to probably play at a higher resolution than that anyway. In any task as far as I can tell there isn't a discernible difference between the 9700K and the 3600 judging by the reviews. And the difference in gaming is so small it really doesn't matter. The Ryzen 5 3600 is fine for high refresh rate gaming and really it's all you need if you're just a gamer. At this point after seeing all the reviews and stuff I wouldn't even consider intel for anything anymore unless they do a major price drop or the 10th gen is more competitive. But... 9th gen intel is not worth it when Ryzen 3rd gen is now released. Zen2 is a great leap forward for amd. Sure Intel clocks higher but at this point it doesn't matter.