For I7 8700 owners - how many VMs can you run?

Nov 20, 2018
Hi there! :)
I'd like to run 12-13 virtual machines on the same time. Each of them will be surfing in Facebook - not for games, just surfing through the site. Each VM will have 2-3 Facebook tabs opened.
So - will I7 8700 be able to handle 12-13 VMs with 2-3 Facebook tabs in them?
I'd be glad if you show photos from running VMs with I7 8700 too :)

Solution

Well, you could just...you know...try it.
If you don't currently have the i7, try it with whatever system you have now.
If your current system is not as good as an i7-8700, then that i7 would presumably work better.

USAFRet

Titan

"12-13 virtual machines on the same time"
Assuming these VM's are running Windows, 4GB per VM.

You'll need 64GB RAM physical to make this happen.

What is the use case for this?
12+ VM's, running FB?

Nov 20, 2018

Yes, 12+ VMs will be running 2-3 Facebook tabs each.
They will run Windows XP.
RAM is not a problem. I am only concerned if I7 8700 will be able to handle them.

USAFRet

Titan

Well, you could just...you know...try it.
If you don't currently have the i7, try it with whatever system you have now.
If your current system is not as good as an i7-8700, then that i7 would presumably work better.

Solution
I honestly don't see the point in it. For the price of an 8700 system you could buy several used 2nd or 3rd gen i3 systems with 4GB of RAM each and it would work better and most likely be a lot cheaper. I might see a point in it if you already have the system but even then it seems like a waste to have such a good CPU restricted to just doing something a bunch of older systems can do better on their own.

Nov 20, 2018

In fact I don't do CPU intensive work on my computer. So it's not a problem if the CPU handles VMs.
I'm doing a major upgrade. Now I have Intel Pentium G2030T and moving to I7-8700.

TRENDING THREADS