[SOLVED] For increased Performance is it best to leave games added to the AMD Control panel for monitoring or go without ?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I know it's something that I always thought be best if no games are listed in AMD control panel for monitoring whilst playing, but lately I thought it a good comparison to see if this function works better these days, So I've played some games and manually added the right links for the games's exe, for some reason the automatic scan & add still doesn't work right. The only difference that is notable by having games monitored and listed in the AMD control is that these listed games now run in Freesync AMD optimized mode as opposed to normal Vsync on in game and off in AMD control panel witch results in the best performance possible on my machine, I have captured some fps and now have some data which can be used to determine further tweaking.

As you can see from my screenshot, most of the low fps captured games where ran in 4K and the games with higher fps where set to 1920x1080 and all games where setup according to their own capabilities of their respective game engine and my hardware to get the maximum quality and fps as far as I knew how to make those improvements and maybe with some input I can figure out even more.

Solution
Does the monitor help stability? to me, it just reports what it sees. I don't actually know if it helps.
Nvidia has a page on Geforce experience that just optimises games, it changed settings based on my card...

I can't find that page you are using. It doesn't look like Game advisor - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-028

nvm, found it - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-031
its not really a monitor, its a compatibility checker
so i guess if you adjust the settings for each game in there, it might help performance. I wonder if it needs to run to keep those settings.
It doesn't look exactly the same but its right tabs.

Its over 7 years since I used an AMD GPU, its almost due again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most monitors like this do use CPU while running so there would be a little performance hit but its questionable if you would notice since CPU these days are more than capable of dealing with difference. Its difficult to measure the exact difference as how would you measure it? some monitor would have to be there to see difference :)

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Most monitors like this do use CPU while running so there would be a little performance hit but its questionable if you would notice since CPU these days are more than capable of dealing with difference. Its difficult to measure the exact difference as how would you measure it? some monitor would have to be there to see difference :)

The only thing that I can notice is some (very minor) input lag with this monitoring enabled, but it seems that they have made huge improvements to how this works because I rember that previously there was much more input lag.

Regarding my pc performance, as you can see my hardware can still hold it together on most games, besides the one's that I rather like to play on 4K: being GTA IV, F1 2020.
Talking about that it seems the AMD control panel monitor is taking its fps reading in the game menu and not the actual gameplay with some of these games because for example
F1 2020 is reaching an fps of about between 60 and 70fps whilst playing and the AMD monitor has it sitting at 38.5fps, which is exactly the fps in the game menus.

The other games with such lowered fps are the games which have a game engine that is capped at 60Hz namely: Assassins Creed Blackflag (56.8fps), Assassins Creed II (55.7fps), and it almost seems DiRT Rally 2.0 also has such a limit sitting at (60.4fps) or here I might be hitting the hardware capability limit with the settings I like to play with.

It would almost look like I'm going towards a new hardware upgrade requirement with this build, but it's not the time for that yet.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might be better off using something like afterburner to track FPS. Won't have a chart like that though. But you would see it in game... could set up a spreadsheet to track them or use the afterburner logging function - I assume you can export the info as a CSV file that can be read in excel... not sure if google sheets can import them. Maybe.

Does the AMD thing add performance to games or just a monitor?

could need a newer GPU to run in 4k with the settings you want. Your card about same age as mine is.

I want a new GPU but I don't care about 4k, I stick to 2k. I have a 4k monitor I am just not using.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You might be better off using something like afterburner to track FPS. Won't have a chart like that though. But you would see it in game... could set up a spreadsheet to track them or use the afterburner logging function - I assume you can export the info as a CSV file that can be read in excel... not sure if google sheets can import them. Maybe.

Does the AMD thing add performance to games or just a monitor?

could need a newer GPU to run in 4k with the settings you want. Your card about same age as mine is.

I want a new GPU but I don't care about 4k, I stick to 2k. I have a 4k monitor I am just not using.

I don't recon that it doesn't or does add performance.

Yes I've been waiting to upgrade this GPU, because some games are meant to be played at 4K and to improve those games's fps whilst keeping the quality setting or at least bettering them with a GPU upgrade.

I still really hadn't found the upgrade I seek.

As for the tread, I'll leave the games listed as to see what.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would look at the 7000 series from AMD, but well... they still haven't released the 7900 yet and the 7800 is not due for a few months.
rx 7900xt & rx 7900 xtx due out 13 Dec, I wouldn't bother trying to get one next month. They releasing the AMD Reference cards on 13th and maybe some made by Asus as well. Its unclear when some makers cards will release. I think a lot of people will want them before Xmas and I am not in that much of a rush.
Both 7900 meant to be on par with 4080 in some ways, better in some, worse in others. Its a 4k card
no idea what 7800 competes with.

I am awaiting reviews as we don't know anything really until then. I probably need to replace my 2070 Super but I don't really need a 4k card, just one that runs my 1440p screen at 144. 7900xt might be overkill for that really. I need to replace PSU at same time. 750 wouldn't cut it for even a 7800.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With FPS, the exact number isn't as important as it's relationship. If I was getting 52fps with Freesync on and monitored and 56fps with no monitor and v-sync, that 4fps would be negligible compared to the gains possible with a smoother motion, less or non existant micro stutters etc that Freesync offers.

Performance is often associated only with fps, but realistically its a balance between what's acceptable for fps and what's acceptable for visuals. This is especially true once fps meets or exceeds refresh.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
i would look at the 7000 series from AMD, but well... they still haven't released the 7900 yet and the 7800 is not due for a few months.
rx 7900xt & rx 7900 xtx due out 13 Dec, I wouldn't bother trying to get one next month. They releasing the AMD Reference cards on 13th and maybe some made by Asus as well. Its unclear when some makers cards will release. I think a lot of people will want them before Xmas and I am not in that much of a rush.
Both 7900 meant to be on par with 4080 in some ways, better in some, worse in others. Its a 4k card
no idea what 7800 competes with.

I am awaiting reviews as we don't know anything really until then. I probably need to replace my 2070 Super but I don't really need a 4k card, just one that runs my 1440p screen at 144. 7900xt might be overkill for that really. I need to replace PSU at same time. 750 wouldn't cut it for even a 7800.

Sound like a solid plan.

With FPS, the exact number isn't as important as it's relationship. If I was getting 52fps with Freesync on and monitored and 56fps with no monitor and v-sync, that 4fps would be negligible compared to the gains possible with a smoother motion, less or non existant micro stutters etc that Freesync offers.

Performance is often associated only with fps, but realistically its a balance between what's acceptable for fps and what's acceptable for visuals. This is especially true once fps meets or exceeds refresh.

This is exactly why I can justify playing games such as GTA IV and F1 2020 at lowered fps but with the highest resolution and quality setting on my hardware, it might not have been meant for that but if I can find smooth performance thats my justification.

interesting but doesn't answer the question :D
Yes, still undetermined if monitored or not monitored is better, with the former you do get all the insight of your rig's performance and the latter only secures better stability as noted.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does the monitor help stability? to me, it just reports what it sees. I don't actually know if it helps.
Nvidia has a page on Geforce experience that just optimises games, it changed settings based on my card...

I can't find that page you are using. It doesn't look like Game advisor - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-028

so i guess if you adjust the settings for each game in there, it might help performance. I wonder if it needs to run to keep those settings.

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

If you adjust the settings for each game then that also includes the user settings saved when asked during new driver installation, if not it would not be cool.

Previously, many driver versions previously this did not aid stability.

Yes, if I'm not mistaken NVidia has this too, don't know how they incorporate it into their driver cause I hadn't had a card from the green team in a while in one of my rigs.

The driver and control panel always run, it has controls or shortcuts to access during gaming.