for INVIDIA users

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
okay, because of the speed and driver support, i decided to get a geforce rather than radeon. my price range is 150-285 preferably the lower end. i will be playing counter strike moderatly at best and not too much else. which geforce card should i get? does the brand make the difference, i heard good things about asus and some mixed things about other brands such as leadtech and msi.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your budget seems very high for someone who is playing Counter Strike. If I were you I'd get an MX for less than one hundred (Should play CS like a charm). but with the higher end of your budget, you can get an ultra for about 240. It's your choice.
About card brands, Hercules/elsa/asus/leadtek (That's how I sort them).
I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sh!t Happens.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The GTS is going for under $150 now and is at least twice the card as any MX. YOu can also get a PRO, but remember that the cheaper "pros" are actually just GTS's. If you opt for the PRO, look for one with 5ns or 5.5ns memory for around $170

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I'm pretty sure you can get a leadtek gf2 pro for under 150.00 5.5 ns ram on it too ( I did anyway) try sunway graphics for starters as a web-tailer

Lagger.

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
geforce 2 pro with 64 megs ddr... or the hercules geforce 2 gts if you can find the one with 4 ns ddr...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
GF2 GTS, for about 135 (leadtek) or 155 (ASUS), Both will run Counterstrike very well. Both are high quality boards.
I had a bad experience with EVGA boards quality, I'd stay away from them. I installed a couple MX cards for friends who wanted to stay under $100....but the performance of the MX at higher detail/pixel res starts to fall away. I'd spend the extra 40-50 bucks and get the real geforce. You won't be disappointed. Personally I think the ultra is overpriced for the performance gain...in fact I can get my GTS ram to run just about as fast...and the ram is about the only difference for inflated price of the GF2 ultra.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!