For Kelly or other MVP > Automatic PPPoE connection on sta..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I have a problem
I want my pc to automatically connect at start up and have tried the
following from kelly's site:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_pppoe

PPPoE - How to get PPPoE in Windows XP to log in Automatically on boot:

However my pc stalls at startup because I have many applications (that I
need and want) and it seems to skip
the pppoe connection. I have given an IP address to my nic ethernet ADSL
modem (since I read that there is a stall of 120 seconds if you dont do
that), but its still not working.

Then I read that there is a way with a bat file to do it, but I cannot find
a bat file on the internet, and I dont know how to make one.

Please does any one know of a way to accomplish this?

TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Since you are on DSL, you are in fact always connected. However, many DSL
setups require you to click to connect which is what I assume you are trying
to avoid. If you connect through a router, it will automatically connect on
bootup. Routers are now relatively inexpensive, you only need to configure
it initially for your password, ID and probably the domain which is, for
example, usually the part of your e-mail address that is to the right of the
"@" sign.

Once set up and configured, it works seamlessly and will connect on bootup
on its own. It has the added advantage of usually acting as a hardware
firewall which gives you extra protection and it masks your computer to the
outside world.

--

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem
> I want my pc to automatically connect at start up and have tried the
> following from kelly's site:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_pppoe
>
> PPPoE - How to get PPPoE in Windows XP to log in Automatically on boot:
>
> However my pc stalls at startup because I have many applications (that I
> need and want) and it seems to skip
> the pppoe connection. I have given an IP address to my nic ethernet ADSL
> modem (since I read that there is a stall of 120 seconds if you dont do
> that), but its still not working.
>
> Then I read that there is a way with a bat file to do it, but I cannot
> find a bat file on the internet, and I dont know how to make one.
>
> Please does any one know of a way to accomplish this?
>
> TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hi

I suggest to people who are on DSL PPPOE to get a Router even if they are using single
computer.

The Router keeps the PPPOE Always Alive independent from the computer (so you can
uninstall the PPPOE software), as a result the Internet connection is more stable and
somewhat faster.

If you have an External Ethernet DSL Modem the cost of an inexpensive Router is less
than $20.

If you are on USB or Internal Modem you would need to buy an External Ethernet DSL Modem
(about $65).

More detailed help here: http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a problem
> I want my pc to automatically connect at start up and have tried the
> following from kelly's site:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_pppoe
>
> PPPoE - How to get PPPoE in Windows XP to log in Automatically on boot:
>
> However my pc stalls at startup because I have many applications (that I
> need and want) and it seems to skip
> the pppoe connection. I have given an IP address to my nic ethernet ADSL
> modem (since I read that there is a stall of 120 seconds if you dont do
> that), but its still not working.
>
> Then I read that there is a way with a bat file to do it, but I cannot find
> a bat file on the internet, and I dont know how to make one.
>
> Please does any one know of a way to accomplish this?
>
> TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

is it possible to start a connection as a service?

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem
> I want my pc to automatically connect at start up and have tried the
> following from kelly's site:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_pppoe
>
> PPPoE - How to get PPPoE in Windows XP to log in Automatically on boot:
>
> However my pc stalls at startup because I have many applications (that I
> need and want) and it seems to skip
> the pppoe connection. I have given an IP address to my nic ethernet ADSL
> modem (since I read that there is a stall of 120 seconds if you dont do
> that), but its still not working.
>
> Then I read that there is a way with a bat file to do it, but I cannot
> find a bat file on the internet, and I dont know how to make one.
>
> Please does any one know of a way to accomplish this?
>
> TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

> Since you are on DSL, you are in fact always connected.

This is not my case since the modem needs to initiate the connection.
This is what I want to keep since I use the same connection for other remote
uses. (So i close the connection and use the same connection elsewhare)

No, I dont want a router, I only want a way for me to start the connection
after boot up, perhaps after 3 minuites. Is this possible with some program
or script?
This is because I want to be able to close the connection at will and the
connection to be free for use from another location.

I have found a program that makes the connection into a service, and I am
testing it out. The site is in french but the program is also in english
http://www.adslautoconnect.net/

But of course this consumes resources... all I actually need is a bat file
that can run a .lnk extension after a time interval... is this possible?

I dont want other solutions.. I want an answer to my question.

> Since you are on DSL, you are in fact always connected. However, many DSL
> setups require you to click to connect which is what I assume you are
> trying to avoid. If you connect through a router, it will automatically
> connect on bootup. Routers are now relatively inexpensive, you only need
> to configure it initially for your password, ID and probably the domain
> which is, for example, usually the part of your e-mail address that is to
> the right of the "@" sign.
>
> Once set up and configured, it works seamlessly and will connect on bootup
> on its own. It has the added advantage of usually acting as a hardware
> firewall which gives you extra protection and it masks your computer to
> the outside world.
>
> --
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a problem
>> I want my pc to automatically connect at start up and have tried the
>> following from kelly's site:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_pppoe
>>
>> PPPoE - How to get PPPoE in Windows XP to log in Automatically on boot:
>>
>> However my pc stalls at startup because I have many applications (that I
>> need and want) and it seems to skip
>> the pppoe connection. I have given an IP address to my nic ethernet ADSL
>> modem (since I read that there is a stall of 120 seconds if you dont do
>> that), but its still not working.
>>
>> Then I read that there is a way with a bat file to do it, but I cannot
>> find a bat file on the internet, and I dont know how to make one.
>>
>> Please does any one know of a way to accomplish this?
>>
>> TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I'm sorry, that's all I really had for you. You might try this question on
the windowsxp.configuration_manage newsgroup.

--

> [...]
>>> following from kelly's site:
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_pppoe
>>>
>>> PPPoE - How to get PPPoE in Windows XP to log in Automatically on boot:
>>>
>>> However my pc stalls at startup because I have many applications (that I
>>> need and want) and it seems to skip
>>> the pppoe connection. I have given an IP address to my nic ethernet ADSL
>>> modem (since I read that there is a stall of 120 seconds if you dont do
>>> that), but its still not working.
>>>
>>> Then I read that there is a way with a bat file to do it, but I cannot
>>> find a bat file on the internet, and I dont know how to make one.
>>>
>>> Please does any one know of a way to accomplish this?
>>>
>>> TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

NO , I want to be able to close the the connection manualy.
I dont need a router, since it created more problems that it solves,
I am using ICS as a software router.

"Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I suggest to people who are on DSL PPPOE to get a Router even if they are
> using single
> computer.
>
> The Router keeps the PPPOE Always Alive independent from the computer (so
> you can
> uninstall the PPPOE software), as a result the Internet connection is more
> stable and
> somewhat faster.
>
> If you have an External Ethernet DSL Modem the cost of an inexpensive
> Router is less
> than $20.
>
> If you are on USB or Internal Modem you would need to buy an External
> Ethernet DSL Modem
> (about $65).
>
> More detailed help here: http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have a problem
>> I want my pc to automatically connect at start up and have tried the
>> following from kelly's site:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_p.htm#xp_pppoe
>>
>> PPPoE - How to get PPPoE in Windows XP to log in Automatically on boot:
>>
>> However my pc stalls at startup because I have many applications (that I
>> need and want) and it seems to skip
>> the pppoe connection. I have given an IP address to my nic ethernet ADSL
>> modem (since I read that there is a stall of 120 seconds if you dont do
>> that), but its still not working.
>>
>> Then I read that there is a way with a bat file to do it, but I cannot
>> find
>> a bat file on the internet, and I dont know how to make one.
>>
>> Please does any one know of a way to accomplish this?
>>
>> TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Use something like MSCONFIG to reorder your start up list or remove one of
the start up programs that takes the longest to load and then readd it after
reboot.

Otherwise, untick some of the items in MSCONFIG and place the shortcuts in
the startup folder.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:35:02 +0300, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>

>NO , I want to be able to close the the connection manualy.
>I dont need a router, since it created more problems that it solves,
>I am using ICS as a software router.

I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole - this exposes your OS
directly to the Internet. Good luck with the patch race.

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

In article <6l06715d9r1aquvab5job1a6mbehculbbd@4ax.com>, "cquirke (MVP
Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:35:02 +0300, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
>
>>NO , I want to be able to close the the connection manualy.
>>I dont need a router, since it created more problems that it solves,
>>I am using ICS as a software router.
>
>I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole - this exposes your OS
>directly to the Internet. Good luck with the patch race.

I think that using ICS as a software router is fine, and I've written
a web page showing how to do it:

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

Be sure to use a firewall to protect the host computer from access by
other Internet users. XP's built-in firewall can do the job quite
well.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 03:23:22 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
>In article "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
>>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:35:02 +0300, "Kenny S"

>>>NO , I want to be able to close the the connection manualy.
>>>I dont need a router, since it created more problems that it solves,
>>>I am using ICS as a software router.

>>I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole - this exposes your OS
>>directly to the Internet. Good luck with the patch race.

>I think that using ICS as a software router is fine, and I've written
>a web page showing how to do it:

Well, there's always the risk of direct network attack. That's higher
for XP as it is for Win9x, and when you move from a few minutes a day
of DUN with variable IP to always-on bband, it gets to the point where
I'd want all my Windows surfaces hidden behind NAT.

Then there's the egress traffic issue. Sometimes, something will
trigger attempts to dial out to access the Internet, and that prompts
a clean-up. With always-on bband, these attempts will always silently
succeed, unless a firewall blocks them. A router doesn't do much
(anything?) to help with this issue, though.

>Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

>Be sure to use a firewall to protect the host computer from access by
>other Internet users. XP's built-in firewall can do the job quite well.

The firewall is itself a risk surface, as Witty demonstrated, but yes;
I'd echo that advice. Firewalls get messy to set up (read; likely to
be set up wrong) when the same network adapter has to carry both LAN
F&PS traffic and Internet traffic. A harder edge, as provided by a
NAT router, helps offset this leaky internal separation.