[SOLVED] For my situation AMD Ryzen 7 2700X or Intel i7 - 9700k

Mar 16, 2019
Hey guys, thanks to anyone who answers this question. Some of you are probably thinking you've seen this question a thousand times, but I wanted to hear some thoughts for my specific situation. First of all I plan on playing primarily battle royale games on my 144hz monitor and want to be able to comfortably play at 144+ frames per second. I don't play many graphically demanding games where I'd need high resolution. On fortnite I play low settings, no shadows, etc. and really only care about frames. I'm planning on getting a RTX 2080 GPU and don't want a CPU to be the bottle neck in game. So anyways into my dilema... I'm aware the intel outperforms AMD in almost every game. From what I can tell, this is only by a few frames, and my system may be able to achieve this either way. Also, most comparisons are very overclocked and I'd consider not overclocking to avoid having to buy an expensive aftermarket liquid cooler. I feel I wouldn't need much extra computing power even if I did overclock, so I wouldn't buff it much. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my CPU should last longer if its kept at a base level than pushing it even with a decent cooler. From my understanding, the CPUs work at similar speeds when not overclocked and AMD actually has a superior stock cooler. Right now the AMD is cheaper on amazon by $130 and the motherboard is ~$50 cheaper and we'll say $100 on a liquid cooler. So (long ramble I know) for $280 do I need to get the intel? It's within my budget and everything, but obviously I'd chose to save $280 if I could. Thanks!

2700x is about the best value for a higher refresh. The x variant of the Ryzen 7 2700 is mostly pre-overclocked from the factory, so it will xfr to low 4ghz with the stock beefy RGB cooler. A Ryzen 5 may struggle with 144hz, but a high-end Ryzen 7 will not. Intel CPUs capable of high refresh are about $420 right now and are so overpriced. I think the 2700x is the best option. Really as long as you are conservative with your overclock, keeping within safe values, a CPU shouldn't last much less than stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTacz