For my situation, RX 480 or GTX 1060?

Castiel19

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Hello, I seem to be having trouble making this decision. I know it gets asked a lot, and I've tried to conclude my issue by researching, but for my situation I can't seem to find an answer. I love the option to upgrade in the future using crossfire with two rx 480s, but NVidia's new technology, low power consumption and heat make it tempting as well. I play CS:GO a lot, but plan to play games like The Witcher, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1, Crysis 3 and Just cause 3. Is the upgradability and extra vram worth it over all of the other pros of NVidia?

Solution
With the games you play I would lean towards a RX-480. On paper it's more powerful, and when we start being able to take advantage of DirectX12 the RX will have the lead as a result.

The option to Crossfire in the future is a bonus as well. That's my opinion.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
With the games you play I would lean towards a RX-480. On paper it's more powerful, and when we start being able to take advantage of DirectX12 the RX will have the lead as a result.

The option to Crossfire in the future is a bonus as well. That's my opinion.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is no heat difference, the RX 480 power issues have been resolved and mower consumption is similar, RX 480 has the advantage in DX 12 games, so theres no "newer technology" of Nvidia, other than the 1060 coming out a month later.

If you like the crossfire option this decision is a no brainer, you get more vram, price is a little cheaper, and the performance is the same or better in DX12, and only a little less in DX11.

PS I run BF4 on my RX480 on ultra everything at 1080p it has no problem with it.

DillonJ3K

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
the gtx 1060 an rx 480 are very evenly matched. Only time one beats the other is in certain games. If you have enough wattage in your psu an with those games id go with the rx 480( or 2 if you have enough wattage).