[SOLVED] For new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU -> 3600Mhz or 4000Mhz RAM?

Oct 28, 2020
I am building a new PC in preparation for the new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU and AMD Radeon RX 6800XT GPU (probably the AMD original one).
It is a PC for video-rendering and gaming.

AMD claims their new CPUs will be optimized for 4000MHz RAM. G.Skill promptly announced their new 32GB (2x16) fast 4000MHz line. Trying to figure out whether frequency really matters is a wormhole I got lost in for the last couple of hours. Low latency and memory size seem to be the big factors (together with enabling XMP).

Is there a good reason to spend twice as much on a 4000MHz set over a 3600Mhz set?

PS.: I know the new G.Skill RAM is optimized for Intel, I presume a new NEO is on the way.

Solution
I am building a new PC in preparation for the new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU and AMD Radeon RX 6800XT GPU (probably the AMD original one).

AMD claims their new CPUs will be optimized for 4000MHz RAM. G.Skill promptly announced their new 32GB (2x16) fast 4000MHz line. Trying to figure out whether frequency really matters is a wormhole I got lost in for the last couple of hours. Low latency and memory size seem to be the big factors (together with enabling XMP).

Is there a good reason to spend twice as much on a 4000MHz set over a 3600Mhz set?

PS.: I know the new G.Skill RAM is optimized for Intel, I presume a new NEO is on the way.
DONT spend twice as much for as little as 400MHz. I...

DONT spend twice as much for as little as 400MHz. I don't believe ram can really be optimized for a specific cpu, any cpu should benefit from tighter timings, and if it supports it higher speeds.
Also considering it should be easy to go from 3600mhz to 4000mhz if you really wanted to via overclocking in bios. I got my 3200mhz ram to run at 3600mhz, It's corsair stuff I got for 70 bucks.
And frequency does matter, and it does improve performance an any cpu but 400mhz extra isn't worth that price at all.

Reactions: Bar Weinig
Solution

Latest posts