For those of you who can see the future!

gmatos78

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
This is the pc I am currently wanting to build:

Case: Cooler Master 690
PSU: Corsair 750TX
MoBo: XFX nForce 780i
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (possibly an E8400 instead)
RAM: OCZ SLI_Ready Edition 4GB(2x2GB)
GPU: Two (2) XFX nVidia GeForce 9600 GT (still debating whether this or 2 8800 GT)
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatality
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Burner: Pioneer Black Blu-Ray Rom / DVD Burner

Now the problem is that I will not be getting enough money to buy this until about 3 months from now (more or less). This, as we all now, means that by the time I get the money new products will have come out and other products will have significant price drops.

What I'd like you to do is:

Speculate and discuss what new or price-dropped items will I be able to replace my current choices with that will raise the performance but keep the price equal.

NOTE: Total price of current choices is about $1100

Thank you!

gmatos78

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Thanks for the advice but I think you missed the point of this thread.

I am not asking you to rate or suggest on my current choices.

gmatos78

Distinguished
May 30, 2008

Wow thanks for the help... :non: :pfff:

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
if you are building the comp in 3 months, then you should get one of the newer nvidia or ati graphics cards. one of these will be way faster then the sli of 9600gt. but if you really want these cards, then in 3 months the prices will drop dramatically. new gen cards will be lowering their prices and will be more affordable, the last gen card will become semi obsolete and hence the price drop. i think that out of your system, this is gonna have the major affect when it comes to getting stuff for the money.

hd prices most likekly will not fall and from what i have seen the cases are getting more expensive, fraking cm 690 case 9 months ago was $45 dollars after 15 dollar rebate. now ,itls like you can't find it for less than 80.

not sure what the intel will be like with their dual cores or what "compeition" they will get from amd in that departement.

and as far as ram goes? just finding a good deal with some rebates can offset any price change that goes on. but as ddr3 tech will be more available and cheaper, ddr2 will go down. always does.

No, he's not a complete waste of time. Not complete anyway - he's funny. :)

He's spending his cash on an expensive MB/unnecessary soundcard/BluRay drive, but skimping on the CPU and GPU. Wow, totally messed up priorities...

I'd get a GTX 280 with a P5Q or GA-EP35-0DS3L and drop the sound card.

As for BluRay, it's pointless. Regular DVDs cost less, the selection is wider, the DRM is less intrusive, and they look just the same on a 22" monitor with upscaling software like PowerDVD.

gmatos78

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I was wondering kinda off-topic but really not.

Are vid cards that take up 2 expansion slots gonna be the norm from now on?

And,

Am I able to SLI 2 cards of different #s? Like SLI a 8800GT with a 8800GTX or something like that?

gmatos78

Distinguished
May 30, 2008

So if my priorities are not super-mega-overkill-gaming then they're **** up?

gmatos78

Distinguished
May 30, 2008

1. If my priorities were super-mega-overkill-gaming I would've gone with a 790i MoBo and dual GTX GPUs with a super quad core or extreme processor and no sound card with 4x Raptor X HDD's in Raid 0. And btw, the reason I chose that MoBo other than SLI is the fact that it'll allow me to upgrade other components for a considerable time without having to buy a new MoBo.

2. I might be a newb builder but I am not at all clueless. An article right here in tomshardware.com states that the best video card configuration (single or SLI) for the $300-$400 range is (1st) 2 8800GT in SLI for ~$360 and (2nd) 2 9600GT in SLI for ~$300. It actually also says in some way or another that 2 8800GT in SLI get better performance than one 9800 GTX or GX2 and costs considerably less. So my priority is not "have the best stuff" but rather "have the best stuff for the money". I will also not sacrifice other things like the sound card for better gaming stuff since I dont specifically want a "do-it-all gaming rig" but rather a "do-it-all pc that can game".

gmatos78

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
The point of this thread was really just curiosity I guess.

I was wondering if anyone could speculate as to what components might replace the ones I had chosen in the next 3-4 months that would raise the build's performance but not the price.

All this knowing that in 3-4 months new stuff will be out and other stuff will have dropped in price.

Apparently though some of you did not understand this so I guess it's done.

Thank you all anyways.

Do you need a system rightaway or can you wait for just a few moments?
That is the question! -Thread closed-

Or wait untill the maximum computing era when your computer will be the best one forever so that you don't have to buy or upgrade anything anymore. The thing is "when will it happend and is it possible to happend before doomsday?"

stupid thread!

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
you about you buy the components with a 6 months no pay CC deal, send them to me. I'll play on it for a while, then you pay your credit card and I'll send you a used computer COD