Question For those that have updated your BIOS since Jan 1, 2017, have you ever bricked a MB while doing so?

For those that have updated your BIOS since Jan 1, 2017, have you ever bricked a MB while doing so?

• Yes, at least once during that time period I bricked a MB while updating BIOS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have not during that time period.

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
^ Same here.
I have been working with/on
computers since the mid 1980's and have never bricked a board during a BIOS update.
When done carefully the chance of bricking is essentially zero.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most bricks (assuming the bios is a valid update, not an update for a different motherboard version, v1.0 or v2.0 etc (yes, Gigabyte...)) will happen for 1 of 3 reasons.
  1. damn, missed a step, reboot to start over
  2. damn, taking too long, something must be wrong, reboot to start over
  3. it's done during bad weather and the power goes out/spikes, pc reboots.

Many newer mobo's come with dual, even triple bios options, so chances of a full brick are considerably lower, although I won't defend ppl who didn't learn the first time and repeat the process on the spare...

Reactions: DMAN999
Yes, my 'never ever' includes some BIOS updates since Jan 1 2017.
Again, why that specific date?

Oh sorry, I misread your post as "what dates" instead of "why those dates." My understanding is that bricking a MB is much less common with modern motherboards, so I wanted to choose a date that reflects that. I know that it is not a scientific poll, but I wanted to see if it occurs occasionally, or if it's rare as hens teeth.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh sorry, I misread your post as "what dates" instead of "why those dates." My understanding is that bricking a MB is much less common with modern motherboards, so I wanted to choose a date that reflects that. I know that it is not a scientific poll, but I wanted to see if it occurs occasionally, or if it's rare as hens teeth.
It may only be less common than previous due to some boards having a dual or fallback position.
However...make it foolproof, and the universe generate bigger fools.

It is not "common", but given a large enough sample, it happens.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have personally never bricked a BIOS. Was talking to a buddy earlier and he bricked one a couple of days ago due to the "something must be wrong, powered down" someone above mentioned. Funny, as he is a professional in the field.

I have learned to take my time, read the notes, and to only do so while hooked to my battery back up.