For what purpose hexa key comes with gpu?

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Hi. I bought gtx 1060 6 gb. I found hex key, in package. Just interesting, for what purpose it is? Also wanna know should I need change thermal paste for gpu in future?

Solution
If you are unsatisfied with the temperatures, maybe. But typically no, the GPU will boost to what it can handle and throttle back when temperatures get too high. A lot also depends on whether you are overclocking.

Typical GPU thermal paste application at the factory is a tad overdone, but nothing wrong with that. Certainly superior thermal compounds out there, but they don't all have the lasting characteristics of the factory stuff. They are aiming for longevity for the typical end user that won't change the paste through the expected life of the card.

Whereas someone like me might take the card completely apart for cleaning and reapply thermal compound every year or two. (Or just replace the stock cooler with a water block)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

That's hardly enough, that's a whole line of GPUs.

Regardless, Eximo's guess appears correct. Looking at a 780ti, those are hex screws on the shroud.

780ti.png

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are unsatisfied with the temperatures, maybe. But typically no, the GPU will boost to what it can handle and throttle back when temperatures get too high. A lot also depends on whether you are overclocking.

Typical GPU thermal paste application at the factory is a tad overdone, but nothing wrong with that. Certainly superior thermal compounds out there, but they don't all have the lasting characteristics of the factory stuff. They are aiming for longevity for the typical end user that won't change the paste through the expected life of the card.

Whereas someone like me might take the card completely apart for cleaning and reapply thermal compound every year or two. (Or just replace the stock cooler with a water block)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS