[SOLVED] Force a logon screen

Day.Loman

BANNED
Sep 18, 2019
I need Windows 10 Pro to load into a default user without a password required, but I also need an administrator account that I can optionally login to on boot up.

I'm just a PC Repair Tech, but I have a customer who is constantly breaking her system by exploring. I don't mind making the extra money, but ... I'd really like to be able to focus on OTHER customers.

So, essentially I need a hidden administrator account that I can optionally login to before Windows even loads fully. This way, I can skip the 10 million start up programs she has set up, and just log straight in and fix what needs fixed.

I know I could just "logout" and switch user; but I really need to block the logout functionality for her, too. She's smart, but also dumb enough to do serious damage to her system if she's given free reign.

Solution
hmmm
things u can do
create some nice guest account (no admin rights), set it to auto login (win+r netplwiz)
then go to windows registry (win+r regedit)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
right click on Winlogon and select New -> Key
name key as SpecialAccounts
right click special accounts and select New -> Key
name key as UserList
inside of userlist right click and select New -> Dword (32bit)
type here any user account name u want to hide from login screen
confirm it, and double click it to edit value
set value to 0
once u sign out, account wont be visible

useraccount names u can check in netplwiz -> advanced -> advanced -> users

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Have you considered setting up an account for her that's a standard account, not one with admin privileges?

I've had a number of clients who, after I've explained to them that their wounds are self-inflicted and why, and where we've discussed what they actually want to be able to do safely and reliably without accidentally shooting themselves in the feet, were more than willing to have a standard account set up for their use alongside a separate account with admin privileges that they do not have the password for, by agreement.

Reactions: Day.Loman
hmmm
things u can do
create some nice guest account (no admin rights), set it to auto login (win+r netplwiz)
then go to windows registry (win+r regedit)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
right click on Winlogon and select New -> Key
name key as SpecialAccounts
right click special accounts and select New -> Key
name key as UserList
inside of userlist right click and select New -> Dword (32bit)
type here any user account name u want to hide from login screen
confirm it, and double click it to edit value
set value to 0
once u sign out, account wont be visible

useraccount names u can check in netplwiz -> advanced -> advanced -> users

Solution

Latest posts