Question Force delete

rockerrb3

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
I have a file that keeps saying try again when I try to delete it. I don't know what program is using this file. How do I delete it without having to restart the computer?

rockerrb3

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
it's a .mkv file and states that it opens with movies and tv (part of windows 10 OS). I can't find that program running n e where using the task manager. How can i delete the file?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
it's a .mkv file and states that it opens with movies and tv (part of windows 10 OS). I can't find that program running n e where using the task manager. How can i delete the file?

Have you tried deleting it from safe mode?

The file doesn't need to be running, a process just has to be using it. A common one, for example, is deleting a file that is actively being shared by something like Torrent software. Or a file that was open in an editor that is not completely closed.

rockerrb3

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
no. i don't want to have to restart the computer. I've got a lot of things running and I don't want to have to remember which files and programs I've got running to reopen all the files and programs.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
no. i don't want to have to restart the computer. I've got a lot of things running and I don't want to have to remember which files and programs I've got running to reopen all the files and programs.

Sounds like you have far more urgent issues. I have no desire to cajole unwilling people into doing very basic things to resolve their problems, so I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution to your problems.

Reactions: Cj-tech

TRENDING THREADS