Force LTE/GSM on Samsung Galaxy Phone?

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
I have an unlocked S7 Edge from sprint, a cdma carrier. Im with metro now, a gsm carrier, and would like to reuse this phone if possible. In network settings there are a few settings, LTE/UMTS, GSM/WDCMA, and Auto Connect. On LTE/CDMA i get data aswell as texting but cannot call or sent/recieve mms. On GSM/UMTS I can call others and have data but at gsm speed (which is ridiculously slow). Id like the best of both worlds and to force LTE/GSM by dong this in the service mode settings, accessed by dialing *#0011#, but i ran into a problem. Others online simply go to servicemode, go BACK, then input key "Q", go BACK, then Input Key "0000" and it opens the network band settigs. However mine doesnt and once it displayed the following message "MENU NOT EXIST PRESS BACK KEY Current Command is 110"

Solution
It's my understanding the phones are different. At least as far as the radios go in them. I'm no expert on the phones themselves however so perhaps it is possible to put some code in somewhere and turn it into the other kind. From what I've read online and my own understanding, it's not possible. Sprint/Verizon phones are physically different from other GSM phones. Look at the Oneplus phones which I have used before. They are GSM only. That's because most of the world uses GSM. It's simply easier for them to make a GSM phone and not worry about CDMA. CDMA might be popular here in the states, but worldwide they aren't. Different radios, different frequencies, different everything. That's why there are CDMA phones and GSM phones.

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

I know thats what metro has been telling me every time i call. I can recite all the apn settings by heart at this point XD. For real ive tried both metro and tmobile's apn settings and proof read it 100x so i dont think thats the porblem

This is one of those things I think the phone companies lie about when they talk unlocked.

I like this site for comparing phone features.
https://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-sm-g935p-vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-sm-g935t/3298597

You will see the radio bands are not the same.

Now if you change the model to a g935u you will see it has all the bands for all the phones.

The question I have always had is does "unlocking" the phone make a g935p into a g935u or does it just remove the restriction on which sim you can put in it. Most times this is part of the firmware. I suspect you phone still boots up as sprint even with a different sim in it.

4745454b

Titan
It's my understanding the phones are different. At least as far as the radios go in them. I'm no expert on the phones themselves however so perhaps it is possible to put some code in somewhere and turn it into the other kind. From what I've read online and my own understanding, it's not possible. Sprint/Verizon phones are physically different from other GSM phones. Look at the Oneplus phones which I have used before. They are GSM only. That's because most of the world uses GSM. It's simply easier for them to make a GSM phone and not worry about CDMA. CDMA might be popular here in the states, but worldwide they aren't. Different radios, different frequencies, different everything. That's why there are CDMA phones and GSM phones.

Solution