Force windows to boot via [VGA] iGPU instead of PCI-E x16 slot?

Etcetra

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
I built a new system from scratch and installed the OS as well. After the installation, I shut it down and plugged in my GTX 1050 into the PCI-E slot (but kept the monitor plugged into motherboard's VGA port) and tried to boot it up again. This time the monitor display says "No signal found" and stays blank (the graphic card's fan is spinning). So I unplug the GTX card and then boot again and this time the monitor is able to pick up the signal and everything works fine.

This makes me believe that when I use my graphics card, the system is trying to use that as the input source even though I have my monitor cable plugged into the mobo's VGA port.

So I removed the card again, booted the system, downloaded the nVidia drivers and when I try to install the drivers, the installations fails with a message "No nVidia hardware found".

So in a nutshell, I'm out of options on how to have my graphic drivers installed so that I can use its port as the input and not the VGA port.

Any suggestions?

FWIW, here's my specs:
Intel Pentium G4560 processor
Gigabyte H110M-S2 mobo
nVidia GTX 1050 card

Solution

Well, I did solve it by going into BIOS and setting the integrated graphics as primary. This way, even though I have the card slotted in the PCI-E slot, the monitor picked up the signal from the VGA port.

Then I installed the graphics driver (it worked now since the card/hardware was available), reboooted, went to BOIS, changed primary to PCI-E, plugged the monitor cable to card HDMI port and...
You absolutely have to plug the monitor's cable into the GPU. You could set the integrated graphics as primary in the BIOS, but then there would be no point in buying the card.

Your OS has standard graphics drivers pre-installed that will allow the GPU to 'work' even without installing the Nvidia drivers, though not at full performance.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

LOL you are completely tripping yourself in a cat22 for NO reason

install the card, hook up the monitor to it

boot into windows, install drivers

done

Etcetra

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

That's the problem right there. If I have my card in the PCI-E slot, the monitor isn't able to pick up a signal since its drivers are not installed. If I remove the card and use the VGA port, the monitor picks up the signal but the nVidia drivers don't install because it can't find the card/hardware.

Etcetra

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

Well, I did solve it by going into BIOS and setting the integrated graphics as primary. This way, even though I have the card slotted in the PCI-E slot, the monitor picked up the signal from the VGA port.

Then I installed the graphics driver (it worked now since the card/hardware was available), reboooted, went to BOIS, changed primary to PCI-E, plugged the monitor cable to card HDMI port and voila, it worked.

I have to add though that somehow the standard OS graphics drivers didn't work earlier.

Solution

What, are you saying that you did try booting the computer with the monitor plugged into the card and nothing happened? From what you first wrote, it sounded like you hadn't tried that.