Question Force Windows to use High Power GPU Instead of Integrated GPU.

ajayHD

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I have a i7-8700k and a GTX 980ti. I am trying to run a 5 monitor setup, 3 main monitors, a tv and, a VR headset. Although the 980ti has 5 display outputs it can only run 4 monitors simultaneously. Which is fine as i can hook up my 3 main monitors and my vr headset to the 980ti, go into the BIOS enable integrated multi-display mode plug the tv into the motherboard get drivers and we're of to the races. Now although this does work as I can have all my displays active at the same time; it seems Windows wants to use the integrated graphics most of the time to save power however, this makes everything unimaginably unresponsive. If you try to windows + tab it takes a while until anything happens. I've tried disabling any low power setting but to no avail. Now windows does have a Graphics Performance Preference setting but, these are for apps and programs not for Windows itself is there any way for me to force everything to run on the high performance card?

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Daaang, you're rich lol. Anyways, jokes aside - do Windows + Run and input this command

devmgmt.msc

This takes you to the device manager. Go to display adapters and find the integrated graphics. Click on that and disable it. Try playing a game now.

ajayHD

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Daaang, you're rich lol. Anyways, jokes aside - do Windows + Run and input this command

devmgmt.msc

This takes you to the device manager. Go to display adapters and find the integrated graphics. Click on that and disable it. Try playing a game now.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and i'm not rich just been building my collection for a number of years. Unfortunately, that is not the solution I was looking for. Although by disabling the onboard graphics performance across all monitors had significantly improved, yay! It also disabled the tv that was plugged into it, not yay. I'm looking for a why to allow all 5 display devices to run simultaneously without windows trying to push "easy" tasks to the onboard graphics. But, for the time being your solution does kindo of work, if i disable the TV that is connected to the onboard graphics windows will use the 980ti. It just means when I want to watch something on the tv I just have to enable the display.

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
That is indeed an nice collection and no problem - I'm not sure if that solved your problem with tvs but I hope it did help for gaming. You could try to go settings, Game Bar settings and disable gaming mode. That's the only thing I could think of at this point.