Question Forced bios update

decaying_presence

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
Today I've booted up my laptop to see "Preparing automatic repair" "please wait while we install a system update". Laptop restarts, and I'm greeted by the bios utility tool with a dialogue box with "check system power error, please check battery is connected". My laptop's battery stopped working a few months ago, and I haven't had any issues using it without one. Is there any way to stop windows from trying to flash every time?

RealBeast

Titan
Today I've booted up my laptop to see "Preparing automatic repair" "please wait while we install a system update". Laptop restarts, and I'm greeted by the bios utility tool with a dialogue box with "check system power error, please check battery is connected". My laptop's battery stopped working a few months ago, and I haven't had any issues using it without one. Is there any way to stop windows from trying to flash every time?
Have you tried going into the Device Manager and under batteries disable (not uninstall, just disable) the Microsoft Compliant Control Battery Method?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
On a semi related note...yes I have had a Dell laptop very recently do a BIOS update on it's own with no input from me. I turned it on and a window popped up and it did it. This was on a clean install machine with none of the Dell "helper" crap installed so not really sure HOW, but it did.
Actually worked out to make the machine run WELL cooler afterward.

my post about it:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dell-bios-revision-did-yours-update.3600683/

decaying_presence

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
Have you tried going into the Device Manager and under batteries disable (not uninstall, just disable) the Microsoft Compliant Control Battery Method?
I haven't disabled that option. At the moment I'm having trouble even getting to the lock screen, since I cant get past the "preparing automatic repair" on the boot screen. When my laptop restarts, as I said, I'm redirected to a bios utility tool screen which had the dialogue box. In that menu I can't click anything or do anything but force shut down my laptop by taking out the power.

decaying_presence

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
One of my laptops (Lenovo) prompts to update the BIOS a lot.

It wants the battery, and fully charged battery, because sudden power loss during a BIOS update can brick the whole thing.
Is there any way I can stop this from happening? I won't be getting a new battery any time soon, and I don't want to leave my laptop in the dust just for this issue.