[SOLVED] Forced to put RAM in slot 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 2

Mar 5, 2020
When installing my new cooler i somehow pushed one side of the cpu too hard or something similar, but now my two slots on the right does not work. (I have confirmed this with testing). I will now use the two slots on the left which is not optimal for dual channel ram. I tried loosening and tightening the screws of the fan but that did not help. Maybe i could try and remove the fan, the paste and do it all over but im not sure what that would actually accomplish.

What will be the difference? Will the downside be huge or can I live with it? Im at least happy i can still use all 32Gb of my ram since it makes a huge difference in after effects.

Another question is my 3200hz RAM is now locked at a 2400 speed, will this still be faster than my old 16Gb ram at 2133hz speed since that was dual cannel? They are both Corsair Vengance RAM.

Solution
Running in memory single channel mode instead of in dual channel mode AND with reduced memory frequency, there might be roughly a 10 ~ 20 % reduction in performance, depending on how software utilizes the memory.

It is really recommended that the CPU be mounted properly and evenly. Don't rush the job, do it slowly and carefully. Check that full memory frequency is once again available and that the memory is running in dual channel mode (with modules in slots 2 and 4, or in slots 1 and 3; depending on how the motherboard prefers placement of two modules for dual channel operation).
Mar 5, 2020
Could be a contact issue, a CPU with a dead mem channel, or a broken mobo.

I would take the CPU out and reseat it. Make sure no pins are bent

I have reseated the cpu it didnt have any bent pins form what i could tell but the ram still did not work. i managed to boot it for 10 seconds in the faulty slot so i guess it is a cpu issue since reseating it gave some kind of result. question now is what difference it will make compared to a dual channel.

Running in memory single channel mode instead of in dual channel mode AND with reduced memory frequency, there might be roughly a 10 ~ 20 % reduction in performance, depending on how software utilizes the memory.

It is really recommended that the CPU be mounted properly and evenly. Don't rush the job, do it slowly and carefully. Check that full memory frequency is once again available and that the memory is running in dual channel mode (with modules in slots 2 and 4, or in slots 1 and 3; depending on how the motherboard prefers placement of two modules for dual channel operation).

Solution
Mar 5, 2020

Thanks for response, i have my 32Gb ram in the non-dual mode now and it runs fine, although not AS good as dual obviously. The CPU is definately seated correctly, I made sure of that. Must be something with the pins or maybe motherboard, but thats not very likley. I really hoped my cpu would last me long but i can at least live with these things (and the 3600 is still so great). My FPS in games is actually basically the same which im super relieved about. So i dont think ill try and re-seat it again, i have done enough damage already :d