Question Forced to select wrong drive to boot Win10?

adrift02

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
My issue is, if I start my computer up, it will give me a standard blue screen / system repair error. What it thinks it's doing is booting from my Crucial SSD, which has Win10 installed, but it must be trying to boot from another SSD. How do I know? If I select my Samsung SSD from the boot menu (never had windows on it), it boots like normal. Verifying my C/system drive in windows shows the Crucial SSD, as expected.

How did this all get messed up? I'm not exactly sure, but I know it has to do with a series of suspicious events. My computer has been working fine for months, yet I recently had to update Win10 to use the Xbox Game Pass trial. After the update, one of my Seagate 2TB HDDs died. I tried swapping SATA cables with my other Seagate 2TB HDD, but no luck. The failed drive doesn't show in BIOS, but I can see it in disk manager -- just can't do anything with it as I get an I/O error in windows.

Aaaaanyways, after messing with those two drives, this error started. One time I hit a SATA cable loose on an SSD, so it did try to boot once with the system drive disconnected I think. But the error is still very weird, as if this was a boot order issue, why am I forced to select the incorrect drive to boot from the correct drive? Also to mention, it only shows my Crucial boot drive in the UEFI menu.

Thoughts? Do I need to clear my bios settings? I can, but just didn't want to mess with / record all my CPU OC settings.

TIA!

adrift02

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
The current system drive was installed last, back in Jan. The Samsung was never a system drive though. What’s weird is even if the Samsung accidentally had a system install, wouldn’t windows designate it as the system drive? Because it’s definitely designated as the Crucial, which also shows up as boot in BIOS but obv won’t work if selected.