Question Forced update to Windows 11

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I got the notice today that my old pc can't upgrade to Windows 11. Are there discussions about this that I can try to figure out what to do?

Thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The only real consideration is to update the PC with something newer, or ignore the warnings.

People have circumvented the requirements but think there may be a bit of tap dancing when updates release. IMO not worth it. Windows 10 is going to continue to be a good and safe OS for more than a year and with certain mitigations will be good for a while afterward with the consideration of aftermarket AV protection and possibly using other third party apps/programs where required. I mean, for instance, if you use Chrome it is going to keep on working fine and so on.

Lutfij

Titan
See if this helps;
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...only-and/42249170-1a7e-4100-a443-058080f7d6dc
+
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...10-to-11/d231ab5c-f3a0-4671-af56-98ce782e6032

I migrated away from my EVGA Z97 Stinger platform after Windows 10 was constantly trying to download and install chipset drivers it thought was right for my motherboard. I did a lot of things under the hood to the point I just bit the bullet and went to an AM5 build. Since I went to a new platform, I just went for Windows 11. In fact Windows 10 will be a decade old next year, so might as well make plans/preparations to migrate.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I got the notice today that my old pc can't upgrade to Windows 11. Are there discussions about this that I can try to figure out what to do?

Thanks.
I’d continue to use Windows 10 and just see what happens as the end-of-support date approaches. There’s still over a year of support remaining, as of today.

Who knows, maybe something might change with Microsoft at the 11th hour.

In terms of options: replace Win10 with Linux, get a new computer, or only use the computer offline.

There’s a hacky way to install Win11 on unsupported machines using Rufus. Up to you if you want to take that risk.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
It's mostly what is in my signature still. It's an old build. I'd love to build a new one, but I don't have the funding right now. Don't anticipate I will before next October. Is it the CPU that is the hold up for the TPM 2.0 hurdle?

Thanks.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I’d continue to use Windows 10 and just see what happens as the end-of-support date approaches. There’s still over a year of support remaining, as of today.

Who knows, maybe something might change with Microsoft at the 11th hour.

In terms of options: replace Win10 with Linux, get a new computer, or only use the computer offline.

There’s a hacky way to install Win11 on unsupported machines using Rufus. Up to you if you want to take that risk.
That's kind of what I was worried was the case. I don't know anything about Linux. A new computer won't be an option. And offline doesn't work. :) I'm trying to picture what I would use a computer for offline only. :)

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Try Linux from a bootable “live USB” stick. It doesn’t modify anything on your computer, and you can give the main features a dry run. Mint Linux and Ubuntu are probably the most mainstream featured distributions.

Jul 10, 2024
I was running windows 10 for years. used a reg modification to bypass to allow upgrades that are unsupported. It is a very basic mod and I then upgraded to windows 11 by running an upgrade inside windows 10.
Note: You may need to download the Windows 11 ISO version 21H2 to upgrade to first. Then you can install the Windows 11 ISO version 22H2 over the top. It may work with the 22H2 but I think I did it using both as an inplace upgrade. IIt has been running problem free for close to 12 months now. Hope this helps.

Note: ** Don't forget to backup your data before upgrading, just in case **

Name of file : Enable Unsupported Upgrades.reg

Registry Modification :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup]
"AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"=dword:00000001

To UNDO the Mod the following...

Name of File : Undo Enable Unsupported Upgrades.reg
Registry Modification :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup]
"AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"=dword:00000000

Last edited: