Forcing USB Boot on HP Pavillion X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwithoutanet

Reputable
Jul 19, 2018
I've forgotten my Win10 local password, and that is the only user set up on the machine. When setting it up, I disabled the generic admin account.

The BIOS has already been configured for the following "UEFI Boot Order":
• USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk
• USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
• OS boot Manager
• Network adapter

I'm attempting to load the Win10 rescue USB I created on my primary laptop, and then create an admin user I can log in with following instruction from the HowTo Geek with a command line.

Despite the BIOS being set correctly, this PC still boots directly to Win10.

On boot, I have the option (using ESC) to select "Boot Device Options" with F9, and I'm only given the options of "OS Boot Manager" and "Boot From EFI File."

When selecting that second option (since I don't want the OS to boot, obviously), I get the option for ESD-USB and NO VOLUME LABEL. Selecting the first, I see the option listed for "bootmgr.efi" but it instantly generates the error (blue dialogue notification on a black screen) "The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to Continue."

That takes me back to the Boot manager, where I have the options of "OS Boot Manager" and "Boot From EFI File" once more.

There's nothing of value on the machine, but I didn't want to sit through a full Win10 reinstall. That's a moot point now, because I wouldn't even be able to reinstall Win10, as I can't get it to boot off the ESD-USB which has the installation files, too.

I've missed a step or an obvious thing at some point. Where was it?