Ford F250 1988 Super Duty

woolfeldon81

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
So I got this old ford f250 1988 super duty. I got it up and running but the truck started to die again. So the batteries were always dead so I replaced them, did not help. So I replaced the alternator and it worked for a while. After a while it started to die again and it did. It would not start so I replaced the solenoid and it still won't start. When I turn the keys on it makes a click sound so I know the starter it getting a signal but its not engaging. I don't why, can someone plz tell me something. YouTube and Google does not help.

Solution
In 1988 you would either have a 1G alternator with external voltage regulator, or a fire hazard 2G alternator with internal one.

Replacing a 1G alternator would not fix the problem if it's the regulator that's bad. And most people will at least try to charge dead batteries with a wall-outlet battery charger before replacing them.

What voltage does the battery show when the truck is off, and what does it show when running?
In 1988 you would either have a 1G alternator with external voltage regulator, or a fire hazard 2G alternator with internal one.

Replacing a 1G alternator would not fix the problem if it's the regulator that's bad. And most people will at least try to charge dead batteries with a wall-outlet battery charger before replacing them.

What voltage does the battery show when the truck is off, and what does it show when running?

Solution