Ford ranger/american car reliability

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the USA, I’ve got a 2013 Ford Focus. They had some quirks with the transmission, but it’s not been a bad car. I’ve got 140,000 miles on it and it’s doing well. I owned a 2000 Ford Taurus, it needed work but I sold it running with about 195,000 miles. I had originally paid 3,000 dollars for that car used.

Mainly look at reviews of what you are buying, and keep up the maintenance, and fix things before they become major.

Also personally I’m glad I don’t have to have inspections done on my car. But I do almost 100% interstate driving. Usually a 50-60 mile commute one way, so I’d have an idea I think if my car was acting up. I did have a mechanic tell me interstate driving is easier on a car.

Jul 25, 2021
I just happen to be a Ford tech. Fancy that? First off, Ford did not make or sell Rangers of that model year (2016-2017) in North America. It's a stretch to call it an American car.

I own a 2009 Ranger personally. Not the same vehicle that you're looking into at all. My generation of Ranger was actually a Mazda. Again, not American. It has a 4.0L German engine (you can get the 2.3 if you want a Japanese engine), a Mazda 5 speed manual transmission and a Ford rear axle. Are they reliable? You bet your butt they are.

That being said, since 2019 we have actually that same T6 Ranger you fellas get over there in Europe. So your question is, are they reliable? Sort of. The only engine these offer (here in North America anyway) is the 2.3L EcoBoost. The early 2.3L EcoBoosts, found notably in the Mustang and the Focus RS, were junk. They were heavy on head gaskets. We had a Mustang that went through 2 of them within 10,000km. Avoid them like the plague.

That being said, that was a little while ago. I haven't personally seen engine problems with the modern 2.3L EcoBoosts. Transmissions they use are pretty bullet proof. I have seen small stuff wear out early, like steady bearings and axle seals (less than 30,000km). How will they hold up over the long run? I've got no idea. But that's my two cents if it helps.

As for the general question of are Ford's reliable? It's depends on what you get and what minor/ish problems you can live with. The most reliable current-generation Fords I would say are the Edge, F150, and Fusion (which is now discontinued). Reliable older models would include the Ranger, Focus (they go forever but all the generations had some minor issues), and you can't forget about the old Crown Vic and all it's variations. I would not be able to recommend older F150s though. They have a history of major engine and transmission problems. Older F250s were bulletproof though.

Edit: I thought I should mention that I have never, not even once, seen a problem with a Ford hybrid system, if that's a consideration for you. Highly recommend hybrids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmi20

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I just happen to be a Ford tech. Fancy that? First off, Ford did not make or sell Rangers of that model year (2016-2017) in North America. It's a stretch to call it an American car.

I own a 2009 Ranger personally. Not the same vehicle that you're looking into at all. My generation of Ranger was actually a Mazda. Again, not American. It has a 4.0L German engine (you can get the 2.3 if you want a Japanese engine), a Mazda 5 speed manual transmission and a Ford rear axle. Are they reliable? You bet your butt they are.

That being said, since 2019 we have actually that same T6 Ranger you fellas get over there in Europe. So your question is, are they reliable? Sort of. The only engine these offer (here in North America anyway) is the 2.3L EcoBoost. The early 2.3L EcoBoosts, found notably in the Mustang and the Focus RS, were junk. They were heavy on head gaskets. We had a Mustang that went through 2 of them within 10,000km. Avoid them like the plague.

That being said, that was a little while ago. I haven't personally seen engine problems with the modern 2.3L EcoBoosts. Transmissions they use are pretty bullet proof. I have seen small stuff wear out early, like steady bearings and axle seals (less than 30,000km). How will they hold up over the long run? I've got no idea. But that's my two cents if it helps.

As for the general question of are Ford's reliable? It's depends on what you get and what minor/ish problems you can live with. The most reliable current-generation Fords I would say are the Edge, F150, and Fusion (which is now discontinued). Reliable older models would include the Ranger, Focus (they go forever but all the generations had some minor issues), and you can't forget about the old Crown Vic and all it's variations. I would not be able to recommend older F150s though. They have a history of major engine and transmission problems. Older F250s were bulletproof though.

Edit: I thought I should mention that I have never, not even once, seen a problem with a Ford hybrid system, if that's a consideration for you. Highly recommend hybrids.

I have already purchased the vehicle and am so far satisfied with it.

I first opted for a (used) 4x2 model with a 2.2 diesel engine, but found a "wildtrak" 4x4 model with a 3.2 diesel with some minor issues at a great deal. needed new tires, some interior detailing, and a new windshield (had a crack) but so far everything is good.

When looking at either of the big two, three technically, American brands for cars, and espeically trucks, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge, there is a LOT of competition. Some people are HUGE fans of one brand over the other, for example, the Found On Road Dead acronym was made by and mostly used by the Chevy fans who hate on the Ford trucks. Ford guys say the same things about Chevy trucks. From a mechanical perspective they both have their issues. Depending on the years, Ford has Engine and Frame Rust issues, and Chevy had Transmission, Door Handle, and Cab/Rocker/Fender Rust issues. Just do your research on the vehicles before you buy, to avoid the bad models from any brand, American of not.

Reactions: Why_Me
Jul 26, 2022
www.crownvicsetc.com
I won't even consider adding my 2-cents as experience has taught me everyone around the world is so anti-American when it comes to everything here, INCLUDING CARS.

I WILL say every car I have owned has been American, has gone well over 100,000 miles, has been cheap to fix when something does break. Now, that is for slightly older vehicles, but I know someone who has had quite a few newer Fords and they still are great vehicles. Anything that has been an issue has been thanks to overall changes in the industry (foreign made parts, cheaply made parts, etc).

I'm more wary of modern cars having issues than older ones, thanks to too much technology, too much emphasis on making them fuel efficient vs. dependable, too expensive to repair, etc.

OK, so I gave everyone ONE cent instead of TWO! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.