Foremay Claims 'World's First' 2TB 2.5-inch SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]At least $800. Very promising to hear though, especially with increased quality in media (HD) and larger file sizes. I'd love to have a few TB's of SSD in my setup![/citation]
I'd say it'll be well over $2000. You can expect to pay at least $1/gb for this tech, and probably way more than that.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]At least $800. Very promising to hear though, especially with increased quality in media (HD) and larger file sizes. I'd love to have a few TB's of SSD in my setup![/citation]
As someone else said already, i expect this thing going between 1$ and 2$ per gigabyte.

So between $2000 and $4000 easily.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
http://thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/crucial-micron-introduces-m500-ssd-family-with-1tb-expected-under-600/

For $600. If these guys want to be competitive they will keep it around $1200. Obviously there should be some small premium since it is one drive.

G

Starting price will be ridiculously high, but as soon as one other company creates one, both companies will drop their prices by half

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]http://thessdreview.com/daily-news [...] under-600/For $600. If these guys want to be competitive they will keep it around $1200. Obviously there should be some small premium since it is one drive.[/citation]

nice... i need a good 512gb ssd... heres hopeing that gets to about 200$ in a year or two.

G

When it gets down to under $500 for that I'll bite, for now I'll keep chugging along with my Vertex 4 256gb SSD. May go with a 1Tb SSD if they drop down to around 500 for one this year, would be worth it.

[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I am not so sure Foremay is the first. Several other companies announced 2TB ssd's. Hoever, I do not remember if they were standard 2.5 inch format.[/citation]
all previous drives over 1TB have been PCIe card based. This is the first 2.5" drive.

I knew we would see these this year with the latest die shrinks, but I thought it would not be until the summer at least! Seeing these this early is pretty awesome!

For businesses with server farms... there is simply no reason now to not switch to SSD. $1/GB is not that much worse than the cost of a server class drive, plus you have less heat, less noise, less cooling cost, insanely higher performance, relatively predictable failure rates, and now ~2x the data density of a HDD! That is absolutely insane!
Even with the cost per device being high, SSDs would be cheaper to run in the long run. You need less drives to achieve peak performance, now less drives to achieve your required pool size, and they all fit in less space, less power, and less cooling costs. Over the 3-5 years that the drive would last it would all add up pretty well.

I really hope to see these types of drives come down in price over the next few years. I just purchased 2 3TB drives for my RIAD1, and I am seriously hoping to have these be my last HDDs I ever purchase. My wife's machine is already on SSD, and I have 2 SSDs in RAID0 for my own system drive. It is just absolutely mind-blowing tech, and HDDs cannot go away quick enough.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't think the 2.5" / 9.5mm form factor is the limiting factor when it comes to the capacity of SSDs. Have you seen the new 960GB mSATA SSDs? I think the controller and whether or not anybody would buy it due to the high cost are the limiting factors.

[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]How would these work in raid 5?Would the risk of corruption be too high?[/citation]

RAID 5 protects against corruption - it's redundant. The problem is you wouldn't see any performance benefits and you lose the equivalent of one drive's storage from your array.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If it's only $800 I'm a first day buyer, but $2k seems more realistic.

benage

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Remember RAID5 does not protect against corruption, only the loss of a single drive. In fact it is common for RAID5 sets to encounter data corruption during the parity calculation.
RAID5 sets have an increased read IO due to data striping but writes take a hit by a factor of about 4. If you want a balance of best read/write perf and protection a RAID1+0 configuration would be better.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Theres always companies like this that push the envelope , This is great news for people that dont have SSds - because it helps push the technology and helps lower prices faster. But think about it , Once SSDs are a Dime a dozen then what? the cool factor of SSDs will be gone and people will stop caring about SSds , it will be a standard device that people wont look forward to buying or care what the specs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.