Forget USB 3.0, I'm still trying to figure out 2.0 and 1.1 - this should be an easy answer?

lonwinters

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Since I've had to retreat to an older computer, I'm now once again faced with the "which ports are 1.1 and which are 2.0? I never did figure this one out the first time.

Here's my device manager entries:

Generic USB Hub
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Enhanced USB Universal Host Controller - 27CC
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

The Generic Hub is an external powered Hub, 2.0 single TT. Also showing is an external drive and the Composite device is either the hub again, or the mouse or keyboard, which are both plugged into the hub. No other connections at this time.

So the 5 Host Controllers all seem to match the 5 Root hubs by looking at the properties. But this is where my understanding stops.

Are the "Root Hubs" physical or logical hubs? I would say physical as there are 5 ports in the rear, But there are two in the front.

Then the age old question - which one(s) are actually 2.0? Leo Laporte said, a long time ago as noted by the date on the article, that if one of them is enhanced, they're all enhanced! Then why don't they all say enhanced?

I've done speed tests just with copying a large file on 3 of the 7 ports and they are all the same. Not sure if this test means anything though!

Thanks!

Solution
not sure about how they show up in device manager as i have never really looked at it this way.

but what i recall from the old days when 2.0 first made it big, if you plug a 2.0 (or 3.0 for that matter) device into a 1.0/1.1 slot, windows will give you that little pop up telling you the device could run faster if plugged into a 2.0 slot. i know this sounds simplistic but i can't think of an easier way to quickly identify what is 2.0 and what is not. grab a thumb drive and start plugging it into each slot and wait for the windows pop-up. :)

of course this also works with a 3.0 device into 2.0 slots but they were nice and colored those slots blue so we would know the difference easily. guess they learned from the 1.0 to 2.0 issues.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not sure about how they show up in device manager as i have never really looked at it this way.

but what i recall from the old days when 2.0 first made it big, if you plug a 2.0 (or 3.0 for that matter) device into a 1.0/1.1 slot, windows will give you that little pop up telling you the device could run faster if plugged into a 2.0 slot. i know this sounds simplistic but i can't think of an easier way to quickly identify what is 2.0 and what is not. grab a thumb drive and start plugging it into each slot and wait for the windows pop-up. :)

of course this also works with a 3.0 device into 2.0 slots but they were nice and colored those slots blue so we would know the difference easily. guess they learned from the 1.0 to 2.0 issues.

Solution