Question Forgot to pull down safety lever before installing GPU, did I likely do any significant damage?

Aug 21, 2023
So I made a dumb mistake. I recently swapped out my motherboard and when I installed the GPU, I forgot that the safety lever is up by default out of the box and that you have to pull it down before inserting it. I thought it was strange that the GPU required noticeably more force to install than before, but eventually I got it installed (albeit probably improperly). I was getting error code 0d on my motherboard, so I reinstalled the GPU and the RAM, which seemed to fix it. It was at this point I realized my mistake since I had to pull down the lever to get it out. I think what happened was that on my previous motherboard, there was a button to release the lever, so whenever I had re-installed it in the past it had always been down when it was actually visible and not hidden behind the GPU, so I just forgot this was a thing you had to do.

It seems to work fine so far but I have only been using it for a day or so. My questions is how likely is it that I have done any damage to either the GPU or the pcie slot that may cause issues later down the road? I briefly inspected the GPU and didn't see any obvious damage, but I don't know about the pcie slot.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, if you damaged the PCIE slot to that degree, you'd see the problem now. It's unlikely to just stop working at some future date. Now, it's possibly that the mechanism has been damaged to the extent that your GPU might be stuck now or it might not do a good job on its own of retaining the GPU, but you wouldn't see that in performance.

Reactions: stonecarver
Aug 21, 2023
Honestly, if you damaged the PCIE slot to that degree, you'd see the problem now. It's unlikely to just stop working at some future date. Now, it's possibly that the mechanism has been damaged to the extent that your GPU might be stuck now or it might not do a good job on its own of retaining the GPU, but you wouldn't see that in performance.
I see, that is reassuring, thank you!