Forgotten which settings to turn off for permanent overclock

cavemantech

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
Hi iv overclocked before , but I changed the multiplier to 37 3.7ghz on a Ryzen 1600, but I’m running a stress test and cpu z is showing the multiplier at x15? Think it’s to do with the power states and cool and quiet and all that business but I’ve forgotten which ones you turn on or off to keep it running at the 3.7ghz clock I set all the time, many thanks in advance

Solution
Usually, you wouldn't WANT it to be running at full steam all the time. It's GOOD to have the power saving features enabled if this is a daily driver, so that cores have a chance to cool down when they are not needed. It can take along the lines of less than a second for a core to go from hot to cool, and even when power saving features are enabled it should not run at a reduced state when it is under a steady state workload or full stress test.

What are you using to run the stress test with, and what settings are you using in that utility or application?

Normally, to keep the CPU at full speed full time, you would enable the Performance power profile in Windows control panel or system settings, and disable Cool N Quiet in the bios. I...
Usually, you wouldn't WANT it to be running at full steam all the time. It's GOOD to have the power saving features enabled if this is a daily driver, so that cores have a chance to cool down when they are not needed. It can take along the lines of less than a second for a core to go from hot to cool, and even when power saving features are enabled it should not run at a reduced state when it is under a steady state workload or full stress test.

What are you using to run the stress test with, and what settings are you using in that utility or application?

Normally, to keep the CPU at full speed full time, you would enable the Performance power profile in Windows control panel or system settings, and disable Cool N Quiet in the bios. I don't recommend doing that, but hey, it's your system so I guess you can do what you want. Having them enabled doesn't affect how fast the system can respond to a demanding load, so there is little reason to disable them and every reason to leave them enabled including reduced power consumption and extending the life of your CPU and motherboard.

Solution

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
stress test and cpu z is showing the multiplier at x15?
I think he meant his overclock is not working because it's at 1.5GHz instead of 3.7GHz while stress testing. Take a look at the task manager too, Might be CPU-Z reporting wrong.

Usually disabling Cool'n'Quiet + Performance mode fixes it. Outdated BIOS can cause it too.

Also, it's customary to post full specs.

I know what he means. It doesn't matter what your multiplier is set to, if you have Cool N Quiet or Intel speedstep, depending on your platform, enabled, and if you have the minimum and maximum CPU states set to anything other than 100/100 (I usually recommend 10/100 with the rest of the performance power profile left as is) the multiplier will be constantly changing based on demand.

My 4.6Ghz OC on my 6700k could show anything from 1Ghz to 4.6Ghz if you take an HWinfo screenshot, depending on what the system is doing at the time, but if you are running an adequate stress test like Prime95 version 26.6 on the Small FFT option, your clocks should only show 100% usage, and full frequency which is whatever you have it configured for, no matter WHAT other power saving features are enabled.

TRENDING THREADS