Format drive with OS

Axroad

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
Hello,I recently put together a windows 7 machine. I used a Western Digital 1 tb Green drive. Then I found out I made a bad choice. I removed it and installed a WD Blue drive, 500gb. So far so good.

Then I installed the green drive to use as a backup. The computer decided the green drive was the C drive & would not format the disk.

Can anyone tell me how to format the green disk? Many thanks.

Solution
Welcome to the TH community, Axroad!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD drives. However, I think that the issue could get resolved by changing the boot priority of the drives in BIOS and make sure that the WD Blue is the primary option, instead of the WD Green. I'd also make sure you've plugged the WD Blue in the first available SATA port on the motherboard. Once you are able to boot from the WD Blue, you should be able to format the WD Green through Disk Management. Here's a tutorial from our KB you could use: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=NrHQKm

Keep me posted! Hope this helps you! :)
SuperSoph_WD

vesp3r

Distinguished
either under command mode before OS start or insert windows disk and when prompted where to install it you can choose. Other than that you can connect the green drive to usb as ext. drive and format it as you do usb stick

You might have to reconfigure the bootMGR so it can boot from the correct drive

Welcome to the TH community, Axroad!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD drives. However, I think that the issue could get resolved by changing the boot priority of the drives in BIOS and make sure that the WD Blue is the primary option, instead of the WD Green. I'd also make sure you've plugged the WD Blue in the first available SATA port on the motherboard. Once you are able to boot from the WD Blue, you should be able to format the WD Green through Disk Management. Here's a tutorial from our KB you could use: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=NrHQKm

Keep me posted! Hope this helps you! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS