honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Hi ,

I have a 300 Giga byte drive in three partitions
in 14 giga, 140 giga and 125 giga...

I have windows xp sp1 on the first partition, and want to know
how i can format just this partition.
Before the Windows xp (first edition) cd-rom had options while setting up for formatting, but the CD (windows XP sp1) I have now does not have this option. It just removes the precvious folder of windows and reinstalls it, leaving the rest on the C drive.

How can I format the system C drive from start up ???
I can format while windows is running obvisouly, and the start up disk that i made within windows doesn't allow me to format, It simply doesn;t recognize the command???

Any helpful tips you wish to give me on formatting the C drive and let me know how you guys , reinstall windows each time it get so sluggish over the months ...

thank you

Ralph

pat

Expert
Boot from a SP1 or SP2 slipstreamed Windows XP cd, and format the partition from that.

It will scan the disk, show you that 14 gigs partition. Then delete that partition, recreate it and format it. then exit the installation program.

Wow.. 14 gigs for windows... I dont really recommend as low space for that OS..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

pat

Expert
"Could your Sig be "Welcome to Ned's Shed of Pleasure" ?"
It could.. depend of the price you are willing to pay!

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Thank you for trying to help me ,

What is a "slipstreamed Windows XP" and how is it different
from the Windows XP sp1 cd I have now.
Where can one find it , and I will be needing the Korean version. Also the one I have now does not have any options for managing partitions, it basically just deletes the previous Windows folder and goes from that.

How can I know if I have a normal install windows or a slipstream? Is it faster or something ?

Thank you
Ralph

pat

Expert
a slipstreamed cd is a windows cd with service packs integrated. Your xp sp1 is a slipstreamed xp cd with sp1.

It should have it. when it ask you where you want to install windows, select your current partition and delete that partition. now you'll have a non partitionned space. select to install windows on that space and you'll have the the option to format it. when done, cancel the installation

riser

Illustrious
If you can, make a boot disk off Windows 98, then do a search for "format.com" Copy those to your boot disk..
then you can type 'format C/D/E' and it'll do it..
If you don't have that option available.. i think it's www.boot-disk.com will have a zip of book disks for whatever you want to do..

i still have my boot disks sitting around.. those things are like gold.. they're always going to be valuable....

Riser

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Your link of boot-link.com doesn't seem to go anywhere!!!

Also my Windows XP Sp1 slimstream CD-rom give ONLY the option of deleting the previous Windows folder and then If I choose that , it goes right on to the installation.

Also like the Windows XP install cd-rom It doesn't have the option to delete the partition ...

Strange Strange

Thanks
Ralph

Pentium 4 3.0E (Prescot) 1MB L2
Asus P4P800SE
Samsung DDR (PC 3200) x 2EA in Dual Slots
Radeon 7500 64MB
LG DVDRAM GSA-4082B (DVD Burner)
LG RW/DVD GCC-4521B (Combo)

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Riser's suggestion should work. The link is http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I'd recommend downloading the Windows 98SE boot disk. Once downloaded and created, boot from the floppy. Type FORMAT C: at the A:\> command prompt.

If you wish to delete the C: partition instead, you must type FDISK at the A:\> command prompt BEFORE using the Format command. When opting to Delete a partition, make sure you select "Non-DOS partition," since Windows XP is on C:.

After deleting the partition, the next step is to Create a partition. Once completed, you should be able to boot to your Windows XP CD and begin installation.

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Yeah but hoe do I get the FORMAT and FDISK commands on the Windows 98 Start up disk , if I get it from the boordisk site ????

thanks

Pentium 4 3.0E (Prescot) 1MB L2
Asus P4P800SE
Samsung DDR (PC 3200) x 2EA in Dual Slots
Radeon 7500 64MB
LG DVDRAM GSA-4082B (DVD Burner)
LG RW/DVD GCC-4521B (Combo)

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They are included in Win98 bootdisk. Once you boot your comp from it, you can load them by typing <b>FDISK</b> and <b>FORMAT</b> from command prompt.

Slave your drive in another XP or higher computer and use disk management to format the partition.

EDIT: I don't see what DOS in the topic header has to do with formatting an XP disk. DOS is not required for this.