Format or restore Toshiba L500D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemsan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I have a Toshiba L500D, that came installed w Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I have the original Toshiba Recovery Disks. When I boot to the Recovery Disks I get to a a point with two choices a) Restore the Factory Settings or b) Erase the Hard Disk. If I were to erase the Hard Disk and format wiping out all partitions, in prep of doing a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and the install failed, would I then still be able to go back and Restore the Factory Settings to load Vista? Or would I then have to download and install Vista again? The Product key is on the bottom of my machine. Not sure about this so any input appreciated,
Thanks!

Solution
Since it has 3 dvd(s) you will be fine. usually the first dvd is the regular o/s install DVD and the others are the rest of the image.

You will be able to do as you want a full restore to Vista whenever you want. You can wipeout the partitions also,

However, Windows 7's clean install needs to have a Windows O/S on it already in order to a clean install using the win 7 upgrade dvd. There are ways to get around that,also. Either way, you will be fine. You would always be able to get back to Vista as long as you keep your Vista Recovery DVD set.

Teemsan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply danny2000

There are 3 DVD Recovery Disks - the option I mentioned comes up on the first disk. I did use them once before to Restore Factory Settings and it went fine.

Since it has 3 dvd(s) you will be fine. usually the first dvd is the regular o/s install DVD and the others are the rest of the image.

You will be able to do as you want a full restore to Vista whenever you want. You can wipeout the partitions also,

However, Windows 7's clean install needs to have a Windows O/S on it already in order to a clean install using the win 7 upgrade dvd. There are ways to get around that,also. Either way, you will be fine. You would always be able to get back to Vista as long as you keep your Vista Recovery DVD set.

Solution

Teemsan

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks, good to know. I don't want to go the route of doing a Win 7 Ultimate upgrade from Vista. I want to do a fresh, clean install using a new Win 7 Ultimate installation Disk. This is still possible, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.