Format os from 2nd harddrive.

Feb 23, 2018
Could it cause a problem if i plug in 2 harddrives with windows 7, in the same pc. So i can get data off the 2nd hdd and then format for storage?

Solution
Phillip:
1. You are correct, of course, that when the user is working with a "raw" HDD or SSD, i.e., the drive is uninstalled in a removable HDD/SSD device that's specifically designed for the drive to be connected to the system while the system is running, the drive should not be connected to the motherboard's SATA data/power connectors (ports) while the system is running. Doing so can be a recipe for corruption/loss of data.

2. However, with respect to our desktop PCs, we work with mobile HDD/SSD racks installed in the case's external 5 1/4" bay(s). The rack's SATA data/power connections have, of course, been connected in the system when the mobile rack is installed. The drive is contained in a removable tray of the mobile rack.

RealBeast

Titan
It should not be a problem, just insure that the current OS drive is attached to the SATA port that it was installed at and attach the other drive to a different SATA port. Worst case should be you'll get a choice of which to boot from but unlikely if they were never dual booting.

Feb 23, 2018
Thanks Real Beast, must i plug the 2nd harddrive in before i switch the pc on? I tried plugging in it while the pc was running but it just didn't see it them. I was afraid that if they both plugged in from the start it would cause a problem.

Phillip:
1. You are correct, of course, that when the user is working with a "raw" HDD or SSD, i.e., the drive is uninstalled in a removable HDD/SSD device that's specifically designed for the drive to be connected to the system while the system is running, the drive should not be connected to the motherboard's SATA data/power connectors (ports) while the system is running. Doing so can be a recipe for corruption/loss of data.

2. However, with respect to our desktop PCs, we work with mobile HDD/SSD racks installed in the case's external 5 1/4" bay(s). The rack's SATA data/power connections have, of course, been connected in the system when the mobile rack is installed. The drive is contained in a removable tray of the mobile rack.

3. As a consequence we frequently have occasion to power-on this or that drive contained in one of the mobile racks installed in the case - we generally work with multiple racks containing a variety of drives - after the system has previously booted. Naturally the drive so powered-on is treated as a secondary drive in the running system. A simple click of the power button is all it takes.

4. As a general proposition we always permanently set the BIOS "hot plug" or "hot swappable" setting to Enable for each SATA data controller, thereby permitting the running system to detect the desired drive "on the fly".

5. Virtually every desktop PC we build for ourselves and others are equipped with multiple mobile racks. I wouldn't be without them and IMO it's a pity more PC users do not so equip their desktop PCs. The cost of such is relatively modest and the advantages of doing so are enormous

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, just leave them both plugged in -- do not start hot swapping your drives since you have not setup your bios or your build to do so safely and you can damage your hardware.