Format partitions and transfer files

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,

I have a WD Essentials external drive with two ntfs partitions, one of the partitions have files but the other one is empty. I'd like to change the format of the empty partition to exfat, then transfer all the files on my exfat partition and do the same thing with the new empty partition then merge both in one. Is it possible and I want to be sure that none of my data will be deleted.

Thanks for your help.

Serge

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Your idea sounds good; I add a recommendation that you make at least one if not two full images of your occupied partition onto external media; after both partitions are exFAT, after seccessfully merging / combining those two partitions, restore either one of those saved full images onto the now one exFAT partition. Whichever backup / restore program you choose, you have to somehow "tell" it that the target partition is not the same as the original, source, partition. True, more work, however, if all goes well, you also end up with a known-restorable backup on your computer shelf.

FrenchyfromPA

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi, thanks for your messages. I don't want to risk losing all my data and I'm going to borrow an empty external drive from a friend to transfer my files and format my own external drive to exFAT. Thanks again for your advices.