Format & Reinstall OS???

deviledeggs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Just built my first computer and had it running sweet! But I let my mate have free reign and now I've got it back it's riddled with crud.

Now my Eset Smart Security suit keeps on buzzing up trojans and the like... I'd never seen any evidence of it working before, but now I'm tempted to format & reinstall my current C drive and reinstall everything for peice of mind (aswell as banning my mate from touching it again).

Will be backing up all my music, videos and pictures to an external hdd, will the viruses be hidden in these files??

Is formatting and reinstalling going to be the only thing I can do for a clean system, is it likely to get reinfected by the old crud??

deviledeggs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Yea, I've run Eset Smart Security twice, but I've read that I'll get a better result if I set it to ask me to confirm deletion of dodgey files; so I will be doing it again very shortly with the settings amended.

Is Eset any good, heard it was top 3 but with a small footprint - so I actually bought a licence for it.

deviledeggs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I did notice that it seemed slower once I had it back, then Eset flagged 5 files in a scan - looked last night and it reported to have blocked some 185 'attacks'

Theres now a fair few documents kept on the desktop, some of them pretty large - will this slow windows down aswell? I was always told it would, but it's a fairly powerful machine.

I know nothing about Eset.

Documents kept on the desktop actually are stored on the hard disk in the user's desktop folder. Their size doesn't slow down the system. However refreshing the desktop is slower when you have lots of icons. Keeping a minimum of icons on the desktop makes it more responsive. To minimize the number of icons, you should move those documents to another folder.

deviledeggs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks g' - will certainly consider that in future.

I think I'm going to go ahead and format and reinstall anyway as I want my os on a different hdd.

Is there any chance the problem I have already could be transferred if I back up all my music etc onto an external hdd? Can I prevent this?

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Ussualy if your infected the best thing you can do is just do a clean format and reinstall expecially if its a trojan. Depending on how long the trojan was on your computer and what type it could open ports up on your computer that will cause other virus to get in. Trojan's cause a huge mess ussualy. Yes the files you've downloaded could contain the virus. I'd go through them and try to idenitify ones that look fishy.

deviledeggs

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Can't be much more than two weeks, but it spent a fortune building it - so I want it clean & secure.

Yes, there are a few files I'm abit sus of & there are a couple of 'trainers' for games which I've never personally used.

The message I'm getting from my AV is Alert! explorer.exe - Win32/Injector - Trojan

Will a format close any ports it may have opened? I also noticed that whatever it is has closed my Eset security GUI - I still have the splash screen at startup & can start scan by opening it in the start menu, but thats a good sign somethings up???

Scan all files with an ativirus, but music files can't be infected. You don't execute them, you play their contents. If they could be infected, then that would become the optimal way to distribute worms, trojans, etc.