Question Format SSD as GPT

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I have read several threads about this and remain puzzled.
With a new, unformatted Samsung 860 SSD. I tried repeatedly to format it as GPT in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
Using an ASUS Z370-E Gaming board, in the BIOS I set:
Boot Control Device to "UEFI only"
Boot from Storage Devices to "UEFI driver first"
Boot from Network Devices to "UEFI driver first"
Boot from PCI-E Expansion Devices to "UEFI driver first"

STILL there's no GPT option when setting up the new SSD in Disk Management.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
You don't format a drive as GPT.

You write a GUID Partition Table to it, then format it as whatever filesystem type you need on it.

I, long ago, gave up on trying to use windows utilities to do things like this, since they just don't do it very well; so, I'm going to sound like I'm on a theme, today, and recommend that you download Gparted-Live, write it to a bootable USB drive, and use that to initialize the SSD all over again, and put a GPT onto it.

You can then format it in whatever filesystem you need, and should be able to use it with no problems.

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Are you trying to pre-format it for when you install W10, during the install of W10, or is W10 already installed and this is going to be a storage drive?

Also, is CSM off in the Bios?

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried CSM on and off, no difference.
BUT, I noticed that a left click on the left side of the pane for the new drive gives a GPT option.
This GPT option works.

CAN I THEN USE NTFS for drives of 2TB? And will that work for Windows 10 (or Ubuntu) installation?

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
You don't format a drive as GPT.

You write a GUID Partition Table to it, then format it as whatever filesystem type you need on it.

I, long ago, gave up on trying to use windows utilities to do things like this, since they just don't do it very well; so, I'm going to sound like I'm on a theme, today, and recommend that you download Gparted-Live, write it to a bootable USB drive, and use that to initialize the SSD all over again, and put a GPT onto it.

You can then format it in whatever filesystem you need, and should be able to use it with no problems.

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded Gparted-Live and burned the iso to CD.
It took a long time to run, but it did run eventually.
It works, and I Put NTFS on a GPT.
This sorta worked to install Windows 10 from a Flash Drive, but the install did not recommend it, so I aborted.
I think the same is result is easier via Windows Disk Management -- see my comment above.
I will try that next. but I am still not clear on which file system is best for W10 on a large drive, especially 2TB plus.

Is NTFS the proper file system for large SSDs?

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Thanks for the help, guys. My problem started when I tried to install Windows 10 to a 1TB Samsung SSD via flash drive, on an MPR partition.
This refused to work. Then I had troubles recovering. Now I have a GUID/GPT partition table, Win10 installed and the SSD works.

I have made GUIDs before on larger drives from the start, but it's been a while.
Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS