Format SSD before clean Windows 8 install?

Solution
In the bios it is under

Settings
Advanced
Integrated Peripherals
SATA Mode

The first board should come set to AHCI mode,but the second one does not list in the manual what the default setting is.

Either way, changing it is the same on both boards.
Install it just like a HDD. Windows will take care of alignment and everything for you.

You can format it from the installer if you plan to have partitions for any reason(some users set aside some space to ensure the drive can not be filled to the max, but you generally should not have to).

Just make sure your bios is set to AHCI mode first.

SebastianZHD

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Thanks for the response! Much appreciated!
Is there any easy way to make sure my bios is set to AHCI mode? Do you know where I'd find it? Also, should I be doing this before or after I've put in the Windows 8 DVD and installed Windows 8?

You enter the bios with the DEL key when you see the system start to display information. It is a bit different for all boards.

What board do you have? Some set it to AHCI by default.

While in the bios you will also want to ensure that the DVD drive is set as your first boot device to ensure you boot off the DVD as well.

SebastianZHD

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
This board is on its way right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130693&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboards%20-%20Intel-_-MSI-_-13130693&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=

SebastianZHD

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Also, if you had any advice for this one, that'd be great too, as someone I know will be installing 8 on an SSD on this, too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130679&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Thanks!

In the bios it is under

Settings
Advanced
Integrated Peripherals
SATA Mode

The first board should come set to AHCI mode,but the second one does not list in the manual what the default setting is.

Either way, changing it is the same on both boards.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS