Question format the sdd or not?

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
if I wanted to uninstall one of my sdd drives from my computer and put it in my sons ryzen build....would i have to format or just delete content and move over? thx

Either would work in my opinion. Since you would need to start with installation of windows (or any other operating system) and you could just delete old partitions at the start, that effectively does the same thing.

Only reason to do serious overwriting is if you had any extremely sensetive things stored there that should not under any circumstances be possible to be seen through various recovery software.
likelihood of that happening is small though since if it was not OS disk, partition sizes differ from original storage and as such, after installation I would see data recovery as mostly futile anyway.

TL;DR;
just put it in new build and delete partitions at start of OS reinstall.

Err, just to clarify, you used both "hdd" and "sdd." Did you mean Solid State Drive by the latter, or are both terms for hard drives?
If you are moving an SSD to a new machine, I usually recommend a Secure Erase just to reset everything and keep Trim in its best state.

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
OK wyoming. Just to clarify. His current FX build has two hdd's (mechanical). I wil still be using those in his new Ryzen build (that i will start building as soon as ups drops off mobo and ryzen 5 2600).

I am buying him an SSD samsung 500gb for him to install his pc games and oculus games. so he will have two mechanicals one will boot windows and an ssd for games.

So you say for me to do a clean install of windows anyway? obviously after i put the hdd in the new build? or before? thx

Lets see. The SSD is new, and will be used for games. No need to clean anything, since it's new.

If the only thing on the hard drive you'll be using for his system drive is the operating system, a clean install on the operating system drive is considered ideal, if tedious and time-consuming. If you decide to do a clean install, the OS install will delete existing partitions, as little_me noted.

The only reason I butted in is because I thought that "uninstall one of my sdd drives from my computer and put it in my sons ryzen build" might have referred to a solid-stated drive (cuz it starts with S, see?) and, if it did, IMHO an SSD that gets put in a new machine should be factory-reset instead of just formatted. That way it knows that all of the blocks are unallocated.