Formating my HDD

Saint Gearz

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
So I need to install an OS onto my computer. But I cannot without formating my GBT HDD to the format NTFS. How is this possible to do when you don't have an OS?

Solution
1. When you boot with your Win 7 OS installation DVD (or with the Win 7 OS Windows USB Media Tool flash drive) connected, access the boot menu during the boot process. You need to press the appropriate F key on your keyboard too access the boot menu. (It's also possible a key other than a F key will be the appropriate key). The appropriate key depends upon your motherboard's designation. If you don't know the appropriate key consult your motherboard's documentation (or try each F key in turn). Capiche?

2. When the boot menu appears the connected installation media will be listed as a SATA device and ALSO a UEFI device. Click on the UEFI device designation so that the system will boot to the UEFI interface.

3. You should then be able...

USAFRet

Titan

What OS are you installing?
Generally, the Windows install takes care of any 'formatting' needed.

Saint Gearz

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
I'm getting this error anytime I try installing it. And I think I told you the wrong word because it's not formatting it that's the problem. It's the partition style.

"Windows can not be installed in to this disk. The selected disk if of the GPT partition style.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formated as NTFS"

USAFRet

Titan

During the install, select Custom
Delete ALL existing partitions.
Create one new large partition, and format as needed.

1. When you boot with your Win 7 OS installation DVD (or with the Win 7 OS Windows USB Media Tool flash drive) connected, access the boot menu during the boot process. You need to press the appropriate F key on your keyboard too access the boot menu. (It's also possible a key other than a F key will be the appropriate key). The appropriate key depends upon your motherboard's designation. If you don't know the appropriate key consult your motherboard's documentation (or try each F key in turn). Capiche?

2. When the boot menu appears the connected installation media will be listed as a SATA device and ALSO a UEFI device. Click on the UEFI device designation so that the system will boot to the UEFI interface.

3. You should then be able to install the OS onto your GPT-partitioned interface. The error message you indicated should not appear.

Solution
An addendum to my post...
If you're using a flash drive (a USB Media Tool containing the OS setup files) as the installation media, the boot menu will list the flash drive as a USB device as well as a UEFI device. Select the UEFI device as previously indicated.