Question Formating USB creates unallocated

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Odd issue.
trying to format a USB, to make a linux bootable. but its not working. It used to some time ago.

1. Insert USB
  2. Format fat/ntfs/exfat (doesn matter)
  3. Unable to format drive
  4. Look again, and it is UNALLOCATED
  5. Load a partition manager.
  6. create volume, format, drive is fine
  7. Windows format - FAILS again, see #4
  8. Repeat 5 & 6
  9. use RUFUS -
  10. RUFUS fails.
  11. see #4-6
  12. Tried Etcher - Fails
13 see #4-6

Tried this on all my usb ports (2x 3.0 and 1x 2.0) same results.
My wireless mouse works fine, even if i switch it to usb 3 or usb 2 slot. it keeps on working.

But for some reason, I cannot format anything. I tried various sized from 1.G to 16G, both 3.0 or 2.0, and all kinds of brands (even a red tipped USB stick)
Using a thinkpad w530, 32GB 2TB ...
thanks ahead to anyone that can help with this one.

Can read a USB just fine, just trying to format one.

Anyone have an idea what is going on? running out of sticks to use LOL.

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
i'll try that, however doesn't explain why widows format is failing too,
I was doing tails img, but that was failing hard, then went back to iso, no matter what I do it wipes my usbs and makes them unallocated, easy to fix, but its just strange.. will try unetbootin

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
update.. so doing some more experimenting, on all these drives, once I create a volume and format (all this through partition wizard) I did find out I can directly copy stuff to it, but for some reason, cannot use rufus, netbootin or etcher successfully

xra7en

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
OK, so took a couple of the usb's to another laptop, (dv7 HP), copied the software from the usb to the desktop, and ran it again, this time worked flawlessly.
So thinkpad I can format, and copy files over, but if i try to make some type of boot or img with it, it messes up the USB.