Formatted HD, won't boot now

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Well, you did say, you formatted your HDD, which means you wiped it clean. You are getting all of your expectations, so now you need to install an Operating System, then you will see something happen. Maybe, I am not understanding your post, but you leave a lot of important details out, so be more specific.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

mrachul

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I don't even see my bios start up. Nothing happens. I turn it on and all that happens is the fans start spinning. That's it.

mrachul

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Tried using the disk and still nothing. Checked all my connections and reseated everything as well. Still no go

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Formating a HDD wouldn't do that - it should boot and then give you a nice "boot failure - system not found" (or similar) message.

For reinstaling the system create and boot from a boot disk (in drive a) with CDROM suport and install the OS from the OS CD.
Some OSs come in a bootable CD - in that case you just set the BIOS to boot from CD first and put the OS CD in the CD-Rom and then turn on the computer.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I really don't know what your system configuration is, but you may need to "Clear CMOS" and try again. Look in your M/B manual and find the "Clear BIOS" jumper and rejumper it to get your default BIOS back, the put the jumper back as it was and try again.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Lets start at the beginning.

Do you have power to the LEDs, monitor etc.
Can you hear noise on start up (fans etc.)
Are all your cables plugged in (monitor, k/b etc.)
What exactly do you get on start-up. i.e. how far does it go, or do you get a blank screen?

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

mrachul

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I get a blank screen. I can install an OS, just I have never seen a computer not even start up before. All the LED's come on and the CD-Roms spins but there is no picture. Tried a different video card and still nothing happens.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
You may need to Flash your BIOS so just in case you don't know who your M/B manufacturer is to get an updated BIOS here is another alternative <A HREF="http://www.firmware.com/support/recovery/" target="_new">site</A> that you can fine your firmware. However, you need to know what BIOS chip you have on your M/B. You will need "Aflash.exe" & BIOS file.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

mrachul

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
No. I was going to do the CMOS, but I can't find the jumpers for it. I don't know what kind of board it is. That is have the problem right there.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
When you find the Clear BIOS jumper make sure you unplug your system first while changing jumper positions. Also, if you see the name of your M/B anywhere posted that here.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

TRENDING THREADS