Formatted my original windows 8 in my laptop with a pirated windows 7 cd

Anish35

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
I have done the wrong thing now and i need to fix it, is there any way we could revert it and get it fixed.
Its a Laptop i have which is a Dell Insipiron 15 3000 (3542) which was too slow and which made my friend install Windows 7 on the pc which is a pirated copy and now i wanna go back to Windows 8 or upgrade to Windows 10 while i have a chance to get the free upgrade.

So need help on this asap.

Anish35

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

I tried the above solution when i click create Media with USB or the ISO file it gives an error and tried the windows 10 option and it keeps asking for a product key, which is something we dont have as it is embedded into the OEM.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Until a few years ago, laptops came with physical recovery media. Nowadays, that media is no longer a DVD, but a separate partition on the HDD. It's usually hidden and should not be tampered with in case something like this happens. Usually there is a utility preinstalled in the laptop's OS that you can use to make a DVD copy of this recovery media. That is something you should ALWAYS do when you buy a laptop.

If you haven't deleted this partition, see if there is an option in the boot screen or in the BIOS to start the recovery. If there is no option, see if you can find the media creation utility in the product webpage so you can install and run it from Windows 7.

If you have deleted that partition and you haven't made any recovery media, then your best bet is to contact Dell support and see what your options are. They might have the recovery media available for download or they might have the option to order the media at a cost.

Anish35

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

There is no hidden partition, Do not have CD, DID call up the dell support about 2 mins ago who advised either get the key from motherboard which can looked into by a local IT or buy a new Windows OS -__-

for 30.00 dell should send you a restore dvd set or look on ebay for one. the restore dvd wont ask for a key that buiilt into the bios of the mb. as long as the dvd for that model dell it restore windows. then after it updated you should be able to get the free windows 10 upgrade.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, Dell should at least give you an option to buy the recovery DVD... I mean you payed for that OEM licence you have, it's a pity to have to waste it and buy another one.

In any case, if you find any way to install the same OS as the one you had pre-installed you would be OK as far as licensing goes, but I don't know if the Win10 free upgrade would work.

Anish35

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Dell Said they wont be able to help in anyways, You said i can get it on ebay.. can you send me the link or can you tell me what is this disc called so that i can research.

TRENDING THREADS