Formatting a hard drive

Tom

Hi,
I have a problem with the second hard drive that I have installed on my computer. It is a 12GB Quantum Fireball and is set up as a slave to a 8.4GB Seagate V8.

Since re-installing Windows 2000 Professional, the slave drive has become inaccessible. When clicking on it in Windows Explorer, it makes a few noises then states: 'The disk in drive E: is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?'. After clicking yes (I am happy to lose the files on this drive) it makes more noises then tells me 'The E: drive cannot be formatted'.

When trying to access it via the Command Prompt, I get the 'data error (cyclic redundancy check)' error message.

Does anybody know what I can do to start using the slave drive again?

Thanks for any help,
Tom

What does Disk Management have to say about it?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Tom" wrote:
| Hi,
| I have a problem with the second hard drive that I have installed on my
computer. It is a 12GB Quantum Fireball and is set up as a slave to a 8.4GB
Seagate V8.

| Since re-installing Windows 2000 Professional, the slave drive has become
inaccessible. When clicking on it in Windows Explorer, it makes a few noises
then states: 'The disk in drive E: is not formatted. Do you want to format
it now?'. After clicking yes (I am happy to lose the files on this drive) it
makes more noises then tells me 'The E: drive cannot be formatted'.

| When trying to access it via the Command Prompt, I get the 'data error
(cyclic redundancy check)' error message.

| Does anybody know what I can do to start using the slave drive again?
|
| Thanks for any help,
| Tom

Tom

Hi, Disk Management says the following:

Volume: C (this is the good drive)
Layout: Partition
Type: Basic
File System: FAT32
Capacity: 7.85GB
Free space: 19 MB
% Free: 0%
Fault tolerance: No
Overhead: 0%

Volume: E (the hard disk that I can't access)
Layout: Partition
Type: Basic
File System: (this is blank)
Capacity: 11.87GB
Free space: 11.87GB
% Free: 110%
Fault tolerance: No
Overhead: 0%

Thanks for your help

"Tom" wrote:
| Hi,
| I have a problem with the second hard drive that I have installed on my
computer. It is a 12GB Quantum Fireball and is set up as a slave to a 8.4GB
Seagate V8.

| Since re-installing Windows 2000 Professional, the slave drive has become
inaccessible. When clicking on it in Windows Explorer, it makes a few noises
then states: 'The disk in drive E: is not formatted. Do you want to format
it now?'. After clicking yes (I am happy to lose the files on this drive) it
makes more noises then tells me 'The E: drive cannot be formatted'.

| When trying to access it via the Command Prompt, I get the 'data error
(cyclic redundancy check)' error message.

| Does anybody know what I can do to start using the slave drive again?
|
| Thanks for any help,
| Tom

Has it been partitioned and formatted?