[SOLVED] Formatting a internal hdd to read as external

Formatting a internal hdd to read as external, is there any way i can do this, i have a fx 8350 machine sitting downstairs with a 500 gb hotplug drive and i was wondering how to format it to read as a external hdd that way i can swap it between my pc and the pc downstairs for file transfer. thing is it is plugged in via the mobo and wont allow me to just select format external drive. it keeps going straight to formatting as a internal as it in all rights should some what but if you are adding a hot plug feature you would thing instead of forcing me to have to disable the drive i could just eject it like a usb/external,

Solution
idk it was just a thingi had been doing for a while with a different drive before it died getting thrown down two flights of stairs because of a dog. it just seemed to be faster and more convenient if i needed to take the drive with me to say my brothers or a friends to do work.
Also, given the current extremely low cost of actual external drives or flash drives....use one of those.

2TB external HDD for ~$50.
Or a USB dock for $25.
Formatting a internal hdd to read as external, is there any way i can do this, i have a fx 8350 machine sitting downstairs with a 500 gb hotplug drive and i was wondering how to format it to read as a external hdd that way i can swap it between my pc and the pc downstairs for file transfer. thing is it is plugged in via the mobo and wont allow me to just select format external drive. it keeps going straight to formatting as a internal as it in all rights should some what but if you are adding a hot plug feature you would thing instead of forcing me to have to disable the drive i could just eject it like a usb/external,
You don't need to do that. If you want it to be external, just get an USB adapter. You could also mark it as "Quick removal" in it's properties > Policy in each PC.

Formatting a internal hdd to read as external, is there any way i can do this
There is no such thing "format hdd as external" or "format hdd as internal".
Format is format. There's no difference.

If you want to connect/remove hdd during operation of windows, then hot plug has to be enabled on sata port, where hdd is connected.

If hot plug is not enabled, then to connect/disconnect hdd, pc has to be turned off first. Also fast boot has to be disabled in BIOS.

Reactions: CountMike
From a different direction, why isn't this data just transferred over the LAN?
Ethernet or WiFi.
idk it was just a thingi had been doing for a while with a different drive before it died getting thrown down two flights of stairs because of a dog. it just seemed to be faster and more convenient if i needed to take the drive with me to say my brothers or a friends to do work.

USAFRet

Titan
Also, given the current extremely low cost of actual external drives or flash drives....use one of those.

2TB external HDD for ~$50.
Or a USB dock for $25.

Solution