formatting and secondary hard drive question

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Hi i was just wondering since i am going to be upgrading my CPU if i format my system would i need to format my secondary drive which has all of my games on it cause it would be a pain if i have to download everything all over again and the only reason why i am asking this is cause it has been almost a year since i last formatted my system and almost a year now since i started using a second drive cause all my life i have been using a single drive for everything so any information would help me understand better.

USAFRet

Titan

What exact parts are you changing?
If just the CPU, you don't need to do any "formatting".

If the motherboard+CPU, then you probably need to do a full reinstall.

But....disconnect your secondary drive when you do this.

What OS is this?

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
You do not need to format your second drive.

However, before you reinstall Windows and format your primary drive you should disconnect the second drive.
Whenever you install Windows, only have one drive plugged in.
Hook up the 2nd drive once Windows is running and you will be good.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

I am just upgrading the CPU but was thinking of starting things from scratch on my primary drive and i am using Windows 10 as well.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013

Ok thanks and i know i don't need to format when using the same motherboard but just wanted to start clean again with my primary and also cause i might get next month a 60gb SSD which i would then just clone everything from my hybrid drive to the SSD and also like to note i have had this hybrid drive for a good 3-4 years now so i don't want to wake up one day and find out my drive died out on me you know.