[SOLVED] Formatting HDD after complete hardware change

Rcn123321

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
So im going from this: (super old, i know, worked like a champ till the gpu went)
-AMD FX 8320
-gigabyte 78LMT mobo (probably not the right name but i cant remember)
-SAPPHIRE Radeon r9 380 4gb

to this:
-i7 8700
-Gigabyte 7390 Gaming X mobo
-Zotac Rtx 2060

Do i need to do anything with my files/drivers before putting it in the new build. Im using the same PSU and HDD that was in the old build. I dont want to rip out the PSU just to put it back in to the old build just to fix it if something goes wrong.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Assuming you have everything you want from the proposed C drive saved elsewhere.

You do a clean install, with only the C drive connected.
Deletion of all partitions on it happens during the install.

and assuming Windows 10...

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming you have everything you want from the proposed C drive saved elsewhere.

Solution

Rcn123321

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016

So what im understanding from reading some of that link is that i probably cant put the HDD with all the old stuff in the new computer and THEN do a rest thru windows (the one where it gives you the option to just format or reinstall windows after) which is what i usually do when i format once in a blue moon.

Rcn123321

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
NOT a reset.
Full wipe and reinstall.
So heres the problem. I have to pull my gpu to even use the PC because it will kill itself within minutes (drivers stop reading temps and fans go full speed then it dies). I dont have a DVI cord and my mobo doesnt have an HDMI.
Can i AT LEAST put the HDD with the old stuff into the new one then go straight to formatting and putting a 100% fresh windows 10 from the installation media via a USB

USAFRet

Titan
So heres the problem. I have to pull my gpu to even use the PC because it will kill itself within minutes (drivers stop reading temps and fans go full speed then it dies). I dont have a DVI cord and my mobo doesnt have an HDMI.
Can i AT LEAST put the HDD with the old stuff into the new one then go straight to formatting and putting a 100% fresh windows 10 from the installation media via a USB
I'm not getting the problem.

You build the new PC so it at least boots up to the BIOS. Whatever GPU or cables you need.
And to the point of booting from the Win 10 USB install.

The old OS on the drive has nothing to do with this.

Rcn123321

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
I'm not getting the problem.

You build the new PC so it at least boots up to the BIOS. Whatever GPU or cables you need.
And to the point of booting from the Win 10 USB install.

The old OS on the drive has nothing to do with this.
Im sorry i thought it did. Its really been years since i did any of this kinda stuff. Im definitely back to being a complete rookie
So i build the new pc (with the old HDD with everything still on it) I get it to the BIOS and boot it to the USB with the installation media and follow the steps and it will have a 100% fresh windows install on that HDD with everything old removed?

Like i said its been years and i just cracked on this old PC to get back into things before dropping money on a new build.

USAFRet

Titan
Im sorry i thought it did. Its really been years since i did any of this kinda stuff. Im definitely back to being a complete rookie
So i build the new pc (with the old HDD with everything still on it) I get it to the BIOS and boot it to the USB with the installation media and follow the steps and it will have a 100% fresh windows install on that HDD with everything old removed?

Like i said its been years and i just cracked on this old PC to get back into things before dropping money on a new build.
Yes.
In that link, Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to wiping all the partitions on that drive during the OS install. And then continue with a completely blank drive.

Rcn123321

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
Yes.
In that link, Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to wiping all the partitions on that drive during the OS install. And then continue with a completely blank drive.
[/QUOTE
Yes.
ahh i see, didnt read that far. Appreciate the help!