[SOLVED] Formatting my 8tb internal hard drive

kanarigaming

Reputable
May 29, 2018
I recently just built my second pc. In the past I was succesfully able to format my 4tb in my old build to make it usable, however my new rig has 8tb and will only let me partition off 2gb and wont let me "touch" the unallocated 5tb. I tried looking in my bios for some setting as I have done with my previous build, however I saw nothing. I already tried to utilize programs like EaseUS partition master and so far it will only let me touch the 2tb partition of the 8tb. I already have windows installed on my m.2 and tried using command prompt to partition, however when I use command prompt, it states that a clean is not allowed due to containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume, which as I stated my windows is installed on my m.2 and not my internal.

Solution
I recently just built my second pc. In the past I was succesfully able to format my 4tb in my old build to make it usable, however my new rig has 8tb and will only let me partition off 2gb and wont let me "touch" the unallocated 5tb. I tried looking in my bios for some setting as I have done with my previous build, however I saw nothing. I already tried to utilize programs like EaseUS partition master and so far it will only let me touch the 2tb partition. I already have windows installed on my m.2

You should look into disk management and see if your partition is MBR or GPT.
MBR supports partitions up to 2TB only.
GPT allows you to create huge partitions.

Please take a look at these steps...

Endre

Reputable
I recently just built my second pc. In the past I was succesfully able to format my 4tb in my old build to make it usable, however my new rig has 8tb and will only let me partition off 2gb and wont let me "touch" the unallocated 5tb. I tried looking in my bios for some setting as I have done with my previous build, however I saw nothing. I already tried to utilize programs like EaseUS partition master and so far it will only let me touch the 2tb partition. I already have windows installed on my m.2

Please take a look at these steps:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...r credentials (if applicable). More items...

Solution
I recently just built my second pc. In the past I was succesfully able to format my 4tb in my old build to make it usable, however my new rig has 8tb and will only let me partition off 2gb and wont let me "touch" the unallocated 5tb. I tried looking in my bios for some setting as I have done with my previous build, however I saw nothing. I already tried to utilize programs like EaseUS partition master and so far it will only let me touch the 2tb partition of the 8tb. I already have windows installed on my m.2 and tried using command prompt to partition, however when I use command prompt, it states that a clean is not allowed due to containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume, which as I stated my windows is installed on my m.2 and not my internal.

If you installed Windows with that other drive in the system, Windows very likely placed system files on it, which is why it's stating there are system files on it.

it states that a clean is not allowed due to containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume, which as I stated my windows is installed on my m.2 and not my internal.
You installed windows with both - ssd and hdd connected.
By doing so, bootloader partition was placed on hdd during install.
Because of that you can't clean hdd anymore or your system becomes unbootable.

Always install windows with only single drive connected.
Now - either reinstall windows or you have to create bootloader partition on ssd manually.

kanarigaming

Reputable
May 29, 2018
You installed windows with both - ssd and hdd connected.
By doing so, bootloader partition was placed on hdd during install.
Because of that you can't clean hdd anymore or your system becomes unbootable.

Always install windows with only single drive connected.
Now - either reinstall windows or you have to create bootloader partition on ssd manually.
Yeah I did some more searching and saw that. I am going to wipe the hard drive and then disconnect it to try a clean install.

Please take a look at these steps:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10#:~:text=To convert a drive using MBR to GPT,with your credentials (if applicable). More items...
I am highly aware of the formatting. It's what I had to do with my other computer. Problem is that I cannot convert all of it. I am doing what the others suggested.